I hitched my mini pickaxe and water flask to my belt along with the glowsticks we made out of glow squid ink. Tommy had the same on his belt and Tubbo did too with the addition of a jar of honey for energy in the dark cave since taking food was too risky. My eyes were constantly drawn to the ancient engravings in the reservoir stone. Even though these had only been built in the war, they really were older than most heritage buildings in the country. 

Our first sacrificial lamb was Tommy, who, for some reason, opted to climb down first. Although, since then his confidence in climbing down had dwindled. Tommy stands on the edge of the reservoir adjusting his helmet as Ranboo hooks him to the line. He turns to me with a furrowed expression, he had been trying to hype himself up for the past few minutes. 

"I won't die right?"

I shrug with a smirk. "I have no idea."

"That's reassuring."

Tommy took the first step into the reservoir, descending the staircase-like walls. At that moment, my heart crawls into my throat as I see him start to disappear. The memory of the promise we made wrecks havoc in my brain. 

"Wait!" I call down to him before I can stop myself. He whips around and looks back up at me, his hand over his eyes to block out the bright sunshine. 

"Don't be an idiot," I call more meekly. 

Tubbo chuckles. "Impossible." 

From Tommy's scoffs, I know he heard Tubbo's remark. "Just you wait! I'll come back a fucking legend and then we'll see who's the idiot!"

Tommy turns again, fueled by dumb confidence, and climbs to the bottom. I bite my tongue each time bits of old concrete crumble under his feet, and when he has to use his hands to stop himself from slipping. Finally, he reaches the bottom and disappears into the concrete mouth of the chamber. 

My pulse thumps in my ears whilst we wait for Tommy to give us the all-clear. The reservoir looked more like a deadly void the longer I stared at it. After a few long minutes, a sigh of relief fills my lungs. 

"It's clear! You guys have to see this shit!" his voice echoes as it bounces off the reservoir walls. Tubbo and I share a look full of intrigue and fear before Ranboo hooks us onto the line. His hands shake a little, as much as I wanted to comfort him I knew nothing I could say would help. We were going into the unknown, these reservoirs are slowly falling apart, and it's more than possible that we may not come back. 

"You guys aren't allowed to die in there," he mutters to us. We grin at him and I pluck a loose feather from my wing and give it to him. 

"We're coming back," I tell him, hoping that if I say firmly enough I'll believe it myself. He nods reluctantly and clutches the brown feather. 

Tubbo and I climb after Tommy. The mossy concrete was slick and gripless and, like Tommy, we find ourselves using our hands to support ourselves. My eyes are trained on the mouth of the underground chamber, a seemingly bottomless pit of nothing. We slide to the bottom and stand on either side of the mouth next to Tommy's lead. It was about two paces wide and just big enough for me to slip through. Inside, we could see the faint shine of light on water, no doubt from Tommy's glow sticks. 

"Ladies first," Tubbo says. I shoot him a scowl that makes him chuckle. 

"Fine," I grumble, pulling my wings close to my body. I go down, legs first, cocooned in my wings to make myself as small as possible. Tubbo grips my arm, helping me in and then I drop into the water. 

I suck in a breath as the iciness hits me, my heart responding by quickening its pace. The water only came up to my hips, a dead giveaway that something was wrong. This reservoir hasn't been used in hundreds of years, it should be overflowing. I squint trying to see where the wall was, but my eyes still hadn't adjusted to the darkness. All I could see was the black water, stretching into oblivion.