Back to the Beginning

She repositioned her hands to his strong back, feeling his muscles ripple beneath her palms as he supported his own weight while kissing her deeply, slowly, and expertly. She groaned as she tasted herself on his tongue. Her wildly beating heart was trying to find a calmer rhythm. Finally, he broke the long kiss, licked his lips, and flopped onto his back, pulling his pillow into his preferred position behind his head with one hand and opening his arm to Jill with the other. She settled against him and felt the familiarity flood her senses.

Their reunion had been simply amazing. From Joe's romantic greeting last night to the wonderful dinner they had enjoyed to the quiet evening they had managed to carve out just chatting, sitting close together, leaning into each other, nestling together on the sofa, kissing and touching wherever, whenever they wanted; it was absolute bliss. She knew that Joe would want to be with her, want to make time for them to be together, but she also understood the challenges he was facing, the punishing schedule he was following now that the summer was almost at an end and the midterms looming. The next two months were going to be some of the most important weeks in the nation's history and they would all have to be on the road. He had a hugely important speech coming up tomorrow and she knew that he had to practice for hours more but he had insisted yesterday that no one was to disturb them unless it was absolutely essential.

She thought back to the busy night they had just enjoyed, spent reconnecting physically, and sexually, giving themselves fully, and totally to each other ... she jumped as Joe tickled her side before dipping his head and sucking gently on her neck. She caught his face in her hands and kissed his lips, running her fingers across his forehead, and sighed. 'I guess we'd better get up for breakfast soon, you have a busy day ahead' she said, reluctant to end what had been simply an amazing night. The desire to stay in bed longer was pulling at her but she had to be satisfied with the time they had been given. She could only imagine what Joe's staff had to juggle in order to give them this amount of precious undisturbed time. 'I've a better idea', he said, dropping a quick kiss on her lips. 'How about I get us some toast and coffee and we can have breakfast in bed before I go', he said, his lips barely separated from her own. Her eyes gazed into his and she smiled. 'I'd like that', she said quietly, thinking that it would be the perfect end to a perfect twelve hours together. 

'Don't be long Joe. Don't get engaged in conversations please honey', Jill said beseechingly as Joe pulled on some pants and a shirt. Now that he had put the idea of breakfast in bed together into her head she didn't want her notoriously chatty husband getting involved in lengthy discussions with anyone else. 'I won't baby', he promised, reaching back towards her and kissing her. 'You read your book awhile', he said leaning across to get her book and glasses and leave them on the bed beside her. 'I won't be long'. True to his word Joe quickly brewed some coffee and made toast. He arranged everything on a tray, along with the newspaper, and brought it back to their bedroom where he expertly threw his clothes off and got back under the covers in a matter of moments. They snuggled up together, ate their breakfast, and just enjoyed being close. They read the paper, Joe beginning with the sports section today. He wanted a break from politics just for this blissful additional hour he had managed to carve out this morning. They replenished their coffee cups and swapped over sections of the newspaper.

'I'm surprised we got so long, to be honest', Joe said, reaching across to answer the phone that had just begun to ring. 'Umm, yep, yeah, ok, I'll be there', he said, replacing the phone on his nightstand. Jill looked towards him, 'how long have we?' she asked. 'Plenty of time; thirty minutes', Joe said with a wicked grin, removing the cup from her hands and at the same time throwing the half-read paper on the floor. With his hands empty he gently held her hips, pulled her body towards his, leaned in close, and kissed her ... Outside, passing the door of the President's bedroom the usher grinned and kept walking; the sound of laughter and ... other things, filled his ears.