Chapter Nine: Open Arms

Start from the beginning

Maria: "Well, I have to be honest with you. Being that you've only been a homemaker and don't have experience in any field, I don't know if your application will make final approval".

Katherine: "Please, just give me a chance. I'm a fast learner and being a homemaker isn't any different from this position. I do all the budgeting, bookkeeping, preparation and planning. I'm also a mother so my domestic roles are my skill set".

*silence*

Katherine: "Look I'll take whatever job is available. I can answer phones and clean. Whatever it takes because it's really important that I get a job. It will be a life saver and get me out of a really serious situation". 

*brief pause*

Maria: "Ok. I will forward your application to my boss and answer any questions she has about your interview. She's looking to make a decision in the next three days so as soon as I receive word from her I will give you a call".

Katherine closes her eyes and lets out a small sigh of relief then opens them to look at her as she extends her hand to shake hers...

Katherine: "Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you".

Katherine leaves the office and is internally praying that she gets the position, but is certainly prepared and will look for others if this doesn't work out. Home is only ten minutes away which also makes this job her first choice. She's feeling optimistic, but when she pulls up at home she's stunned to see Michael's car. He never comes home on lunch so she doesn't know what he's doing here. She's nervous that somehow he's found out what she's doing and is waiting to confront her about it. She tells herself to remain calm as to not give herself away, but she's also ready to lie if necessary. She won't let him hold her back anymore. She walks inside and isn't surprised to see him sitting in his chair and watching TV. They make eye contact and it's to the point where just the sight of him makes her sick...

Katherine: "What are you doing home"?

Michael: "Why does it matter"?

Katherine: "Why do you have to be a smart ass? You can't answer the question"?

Michael: "Certainly, Queen Katherine. I had some time to use so I wouldn't lose it. Ok"?

Katherine: *rolls eyes* "Whatever".

Katherine storms off to go to the kitchen for a bottled water when she hears...

Michael: "The better question is where have you been"?

Katherine: "I wanted to get out and enjoy the day".

Michael: "In a business suit"?

Katherine stops walking and looks down at her attire then whispers, "shit". She has to come up with something fast...

Katherine: "I went to an afternoon play with Sylvia. She dressed up too".

*silence*

Michael: "Well now that you're home how about making some lunch. Your husband is hungry".

Katherine rolls her eyes again and quietly says, "something wrong with you". She didn't realize she said it loud enough for him to hear because now she's hearing...

Michael: "What was that"?

*brief pause*

Katherine: "Um, I just want to know if you want pasta salad or macaroni salad with your sandwich".