Chapter Five: Soul Tie

Laurent remains motionless...rendered speechless...his hands still in surrender, but his eyes no longer looking down the barrel of a gun. Instead, he's looking at the person holding it as he's blown away by the uncanny resemblance. It isn't merely having some of the same facial features, it's a shadow of himself and he's no longer in fear of the weapon before him. The lookalike stranger is rendered speechless as well...his eyes as wide and he's in just as much shock at the strikingly similar stranger he attempted to rob just moments ago that he couldn't go through with so the arm holding the gun slowly falls. With a broken voice he tells him, "I...I'm sorry" then turns around and runs away. If he ran into Laurent any other time he would be curious as to who this person and would even spark up a conversation. But, he's ashamed that he even attempted such a thing and seeing someone who looks exactly like him...knowing in his heart that there's a connection with the person he just held at gun point his speed picks up and he feels the wind drying the tears that are streaming down his face. He stops at a boardwalk with a stream of cloudy water underneath. It takes him several moments to go from labored breathing to much softer breaths. He then raises the gun to stare at it then looks down at the creek water. Seconds later he raises his arm, and giving it his all, he tosses it and watches it fly through the air then plop in the water. He turns around and plops down on the concrete and can't help but burst into tears again...  

~meanwhile~

Laurent watched this man run away, and while he knows he's connected to him, the overwhelming shock precluded him from calling out to him. He's long gone now and Laurent doesn't turn his head from that direction. He's unaware that Greg and Jalisa have walked out of the venue to head for Greg's car, only Jalisa sees Laurent and concern instantly comes over her because of the state he appears to be in so she says to Greg, "baby, I think something is wrong with Laurent" prompting Greg to turn in the direction she's looking. He tells her that he's going to see what's wrong and when she asks if she should join him he insists that she waits in the car since it's late and he doesn't know what happened or what danger could be lurking. He gives her the keys and sweetly tells her to get inside and lock the doors. He jogs across the street but approaches Laurent very delicately as to not alarm him since he hasn't noticed that Greg is standing next to him. He calls his name in a gentle voice then asks if he's ok. Laurent doesn't answer right away so Greg calls for him again. This time, Laurent speaks up...

Laurent: "I was almost robbed".

Greg: "Oh no". *pause* "Wait. What do you mean almost"?

Laurent: "He was going to until we looked at each other".

Greg: "You know each other"?

Laurent: "No, but he looked exactly like me".

Greg: "Well we all have a doppelganger, but why do you look like you've seen a ghost"? 

Laurent: "He wasn't a doppelganger. People who have one aren't related to them. They just look like them. This guy looked like...my twin. My blood twin".

Greg: "You don't have a twin".

Laurent slowly turns his head to finally make eye contact with him...

Laurent: "I do, and I need to go and find him".

Greg: "Woah, Laurent. Just hold on ok"?

Laurent: "You said you saw someone who you were sure looked like me at the food drive".

Greg: "Yeah I did bro because you had on the same color shirt and hairstyle so I thought...."

Laurent: "But you only saw the back of his head. If you saw his face like I just did you would agree with me. I'm going to find him".

Greg: "Laurent, you said he had a gun so I don't think it's safe to go after him".