Chapter Nine: Open Arms

The semi-busy street suddenly seems very quiet. No sounds of car horns or chatter from passersby. It's as if it's just Larry and Michael here...the intense glare from Michael becoming more intense by the second. Even at a distance he's so intimidating and Larry timidly drops his head. He doesn't look down too long because curiosity of whether or not he's still glaring at him is hard to resist so he slowly looks up at him. That's when he sees Michael shake his head whilst mean mugging him then casually walks away. Larry feels his heart sting then he hears Laurent's sweet voice behind him asking, "I thought you were waiting in the car". But, Larry is too still to respond so Laurent cautiously walks around to look at him and his countenance is very troubling so he asks, "what's wrong"? Larry won't keep him wondering why so he gulps as he replies, "it's Michael. That's him walking away". Laurent instantly looks in the direction of Larry's eyes and knowing what this man did to Larry on top of the frustrating morning they had at the adoption agency...knowing that Larry wouldn't have been subjected to this man had they both been adopted by Vera and Kent, Laurent passes Larry the smoothie he went back to the deli for and begins a light jog to catch up with Michael. Larry immediately goes after him then jumps in front of him and places his hand in the bend of Laurent's arm to stop him...

Larry: "No, Laurent please. Don't".

Laurent: "It's oki. I'm going to get your lick back for you".

Larry: "No, please stop". 

Larry manages to stop him to explain why he doesn't want Laurent near him...

Larry: "I don't want him to lay a finger on you and if someone sees you fighting they might call the cops. I don't want anything happening to you. I just got you".

Laurent: "Oh Larry", he whispers.

Larry: "It's not worth it so let's just go, oki"?

Laurent's face instantly softens then he looks down at Larry's hand on him as he feels him trembling then looks back up..his heart breaking at the sad look on his face. He doesn't waste another second gently grabbing the back of Larry's head to pull him into him. Larry's temple goes down on Laurent's shoulder as Laurent softly tells him, "oki. I won't do anything. We can go". Laurent can feel Larry nod against him as he whispers, "thank you". Then he feels a soft kiss being placed on his temple. Larry's heart is overwhelmed by his affection, and his body nearly shivers at the softness and tenderness of Laurent's lips. For a few moments it's just the two of them standing there...cars going around them but none honking their horns. It's as if even complete strangers sense the closeness of these two and don't want to disturb the beautiful moment. Larry eventually raises his head to look at Laurent who also places a kiss on Larry's forehead in which Larry closes his eyes at the sensation. He whispers, "let's go home" so Larry nods, and he's also touched that Laurent now calls his home theirs. They turn around and walk towards the car and get in at the same time. Larry was still holding Laurent's smoothie so he places it in the cup holder to put his seat belt on. He then picks it back up and since a straw was placed against it as most places tend to do Larry takes the paper off and places the straw in the drink before handing it over to Laurent who smiles then thanks him and begins making the drive home...

~meanwhile~

Katherine sits in front of a desk and is nervously waiting as an online application she submitted for a cash office clerk is reviewed. She's been secretly looking for work since Michael threatened her with divorce if she didn't kick Larry out. Truth be told, she doesn't care about a divorce as egotistical Michael believes she does. The final straw was putting his hands on Larry and she's determined to leave him. She just has to do that without him knowing. If he can hurt Larry to such a magnitude there's no telling what he will do to her if he finds out. But, she's confident he won't find out because this position ends at 4 and Michael doesn't get off until 6 so she can get home and still have dinner prepared without him suspecting anything. Naturally she's still extremely worried about Larry and is hoping for a phone call though she can understand how hurt he is from the whole ordeal. That's also another reason, the main reason, she needs this job. She can get away from Michael, find her baby boy and hopefully they can rebuild their relationship. An associate, Maria, has only been reviewing her application for a few minutes, but as eager as she is to find employment which is the first step in her get out plan, it feels like it's been hours. Finally, she looks up at her...