Chapter 18

"I find it hard to believe that my mom wants us to make a few appearances." I said as I fixed my makeup. 

"Babe, we have less than thirty minutes to landing. Let's just make it through this visit." Arthur said calmly. He seemed distracted today.

"We're not even married yet. We shouldn't be taking international trips together."

"Look, our families are willing to break protocol for us, let's just get it over with." I carried my arranged outfit and started getting into it.

"Fine. What's with you today?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You seem distracted."

"It's nothing. Just work."

"I don't believe that. And I'm pretty sure you don't either."

"Just drop it, for now. I'll tell you everything once we settle in."

"Ok. Just, try to be your normal self. We don't want to rub the media the wrong way."

"I know. Just get dressed and meet me outside. I need to discuss some logistical things with Charlie." He stepped out before I could say anything else. I had gotten used to Arthur's usual mood swings. I just couldn't deal with it today.

I wore my clothes, got the stylist to do my hair, and just when I heard the descent announcement, I threw my coat on and went to meet Arthur.

It was pretty cold this time of the year. I knew this for a fact. Thus, my coat and gloves. 

"You look good." Arthur said as he looked at me.

"Good?"

"Is anything wrong with good?"

"Normally, I leave you speechless."

"Well, I found the right word today." I sighed as I carried his drink and gulped it down.

"Between your attitude and the drama I'm about to face, I think I'll be needing something stronger." There was this tension between us, and I didn't know why. 

"Your Highnesses, we're here." I gave Charlie a small smile and a nod.

"Whenever you're ready." I said as I waited for him to stand up. The doors had been opened, and I could see my uncle, the Crown Prince, and my aunt, the Crown Princess, through the window.

"Let's go." I grabbed my bag and walked beside Arthur until we got to the exit. We walked out of the plane and the amount of press there almost gave me a mild heart attack. I felt Arthur take my hand in his. He smiled at me and helped me down the steps. "I want you to know how lucky I am to have you by my side. I love you." 

His words took me by surprise. I needed that. The realization that I would be here again, without Freja, killed me. I could feel my anxiety return. We were met by my family at the bottom of the steps.