Chapter 78 : Element of Surprise

Start from the beginning

"You look out of the place since the Eirene Festival," Ares said.

"So he wants to talk about that."

"I got sick on a funeral day since my servants forgot to bring an umbrella with me. Thus, I am still recovering from that. It is just a headache now. Hence, don't concern Your Majesty with trivial matters," the blonde woman looks into the sapphire eyes, keeping his suspicion on Natalie.

The Emperor hums on the answer, putting his hands over the table. He looks at the ruby eyes in amusement.

"Let me be honest with you. Why do you take the abandoned Southeast area of the Empire as your wish?" Natalie is shocked by the sudden question as she expects Ares to play with his words, hiding his intention.

Now, he asks directly to her. Duchess Smith doesn't know if he is doing that because he is an Emperor now, not the Crown Prince. Or it is because he simply has a subtle way of insulting Natalie's intelligence.

"I was searching for the Valienth."

"The mythical legend about how a demon cries over the loss of his love, unconsciously creating something called Valienth?" Ares can't believe what he hears, but it is the most absurd thing he has ever heard.

The Duchess of Light hums over at the question, nodding at his question. Vielinth is her excuse since she knows the legend is just folklore being passed from one generation to another in the valley of the dead. That's one of the reasons why people avoid the Southeast in the first place. And why no one expects Medea to get weapons and supports from the Vazoels?

The woman will make an understanding and agree with Queen Cecilia by promising to let Vazoels be an independent nation. But, if that is going to be easy. First, she must find the route before thinking about executing the next plan.

"Is she wisecracking, or does she has something on her sleeve?" Ares asks himself.

"What is your wish to get the gemstone so badly until you get the valley of the dead as one of your territories?" he asks.

"I wish to hoist the curse that the Guardian Deity bestowed on you on your engagement day. Where everyone will be cursed, and violence will occur if someone marries Your Majesty," she blamed herself internally for hinting her interest in the man is still strong.

Even now that his knights are gone, he views her with suspicion. She, too, had the impression that this man was hiding the Smiths' knights. They disappear into thin air, leaving no evidence of their existence.

"Do you also believe in that claim, Natalie? But, of course, I don't take you as someone who believes such things," the Emperor chuckles, his eyes twinkling in entertainment.

"She is playing and hiding behind her words."

"No, but the public opinion takes a tide on believing it blindly. But, regardless, with the Valienth, I can use it to change the public opinion about you and marriages," her statement somewhat matches with the Duchess.

"Or is she serious about her words?"

"It is such an honour for the Duchess of Light herself to care for her Emperor this way, Natalie," the Emperor said, smiling at the blonde woman.

"You sure did, Ares."

As soon as Natalie leaves, Ares summons back Julius, who is hiding around the greenhouse. The Emperor crosses his legs, still looking at where Natalie had sat just now.

"Have you sent the mercenaries to the Crassore's mine?" the man puts his hand over his cheek, looking at the man with a bored expression.

"Yes, Your Majesty," the moment Julius answers that Ares smiles creepily.