I didn't say anything for a second. I guess I could understand the protocol, Alice and Jasper keep telling me that the most important thing to vampires is their secrecy. That much of their culture has been created around keeping themselves secret. But I couldn't help but feel anxious. I don't do well in front of scrutinizing eyes. I couldn't even testify at Natalia's trial. And even though I've never sat in front of a super powerful vampire council, I can't imagine I'll do well. I slid down to the ground, my back to the kitchen island trying to control my breathing. Was this why they hadn't told me anything while I was back home? Where I wouldn't have anyone who would understand why I was panicking.

"Elle, hey it's okay," Bella kneeled next to me, "Do you need anything? Do you want your pills?"

I nodded, unable to speak due to the pain in my chest.

"Are they still next to your bed?"

I nodded again, doing the mental exercises Dr.Douglas taught me to ground myself.

Breathe in. Count to five. Exhale slowly.

"Here you go" Bella was back, opening the Xanax bottle and handing one to me. Before she could get me some water I had already swallowed it.

She sighed and sat down next to me. "I didn't think you'd react like this," she said "I just thought it was a relationship thing, I'm sorry."

I nodded, still trying to control my breathing. "It-It's okay."

"If you're worried about 'not passing' I don't think you have to worry, Edward said-"

"That's not it."

"Then what is it?"

"The questions."

She nodded, but stayed quiet. Bella knew some of what happened with Natalia and the trial, so she probably understood what I meant. She stayed next to me until the pills kicked in and I calmed down.

The night's conversations took a more normal turn after that. Jessica's new school year hairstyle, and Mike's inability to take a hint through the summer. Bella was a good person to have a panic attack around, she knew when it was and wasn't a good idea to pry.

The rest of the night was mundane compared to that, but there was an unspoken agreement that I'd have to tell Bella more than I already had. I'm sure she knew I hadn't told her everything, but I think she'd soon want more concrete answers. 

Bella stayed over until the next day, the beginning of the last week of summer. For which Alice had planned a plethora of activities to make sure our senior year would start off correctly.

Unfortunately for Bella and I, that meant that the first order of business was a shopping trip. Now, I wasn't as fashion backwards as Bella or anything, I didn't hate shopping, but shopping with Alice was almost labor intensive. So much so that Alice, Jasper and Edward had gone hunting the night before in preparation.

Now, I'm not the world's best driver, and Puerto Rico isn't a great frame of reference in regards to what a good driver looks like, considering that traffic laws are considered suggestions more than anything, but I had no idea Jasper gave so little a fuck about speed limits.

"Are you sure this is safe?" Bella askes, gripping her seatbelt for dear life.

"Don't worry, vampires have good reflexes so he'll know if he needs to stop!" Alice replied in a far too cheery tone for my liking. "Plus, if we don't drive this fast, we won't have much time to look at the clothes!" So there was an ulterior motive.

"Also, vampires get bored in cars," Edward explained, "most of them are slow compared to us."

"That's why we like fast cars." Jasper added.

"Yeah, I'm sure it's a completely practical purchase." I said, which earned me a sly smirk through the rearview mirror from him. I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed. 

We arrived at a larger town that would've taken law abiding citizens almost five hours to get to. Jasper got us there in two. This town had a larger shopping district, as well as a hotel where we'd be staying the night, much to Bella's dad's dismay.

 "Okay, we're here to get each of you a new wardrobe!" Alice said, clapping her hands happily. I wasn't entirely convinced she didn't see us as life sized dress up dolls. "First we should focus on the bigger wardrobe pieces that you can mix and match, and then we can get some accent pieces!" She looped one arm in mine and the other in Bella's and led us into the mall.

"Is this gonna take long?" Bella moaned.

"We're staying overnight, I think you know the answer." I said, she groaned.

"C'mon Bella, it's just a little shopping, it'll do your poor wardrobe some good!" Alice said. I stifled a laugh.

"My wardrobe is perfectly fine!" She defended.

"No." Alice, Jasper and I said unanimously.

She huffed and Edward comforted her by giving her a kiss on the forehead, but he didn't defend her wardrobe either.