Chapter 9

AUTHOR

I know right! It's another update. You're welcome!

Karina is no doubt an absolute charmer. Not only that, but she's also a freaking endearment machine because there's not a day where she doesn't ravish Winter with undeniable compliments that can utterly make anyone whipped on their knees—well, except Winter herself, of course.

It all began in the heart of autumn, when the leaves turned shades of gold and crimson and the air carried a hint of crispness. Everyone was thrilled about the upcoming St. Ives Annual Autumn Carnival Fest. The campus was bustling with crowds of people. Decorations were being hung here and there. All the members of the prefects were tied up with their individual tasks. The place was bustling with utter excitement.

The notable head girl of St. Ives College, Karina, with her mischievous smile and twinkling blue eyes, was known throughout the campus for her ingenious endearments. She had an uncanny ability to make everyone feel special with just a few words of encouragement and a few acts of playfulness. But throughout that skittish façade, there's only one person who could render her speechless—Winter, the apple of her eye.

Winter, a quiet and contemplative soul, had an aura of mystery that intrigued Karina way before they started talking. She often found the latter engrossed in her books, lost in the world of literature and philosophy, but never once approached her. She only got the courage to do that after what happened that Friday night—how they spent and shared that warm, lovely evening, bathed in the comfort of her bed with their skin intimately engrossed with each other. Exquisite. Lovely. Addictive. That's how Karina described that delightful night.

Winter is the epitome of the phrase 'fake it 'til you make it.' She's not that much of an idiot not to recognise what Karina was trying to do. Skillfully, she's been sidestepping Karina's attempts to charm her like a seasoned dodger. But Karina, being such a persistent pursuer, was determined to break through the latter's icy demeanour. Despite Winter's adept dodging, Karina's unwavering pursuit showcased her determination. The dynamic between them continued—a silent tug-of-war occurred between Winter's guarded stance and Karina's relentless resolve.

Winter strode purposefully down the bustling hallway of the college campus, her textbooks clutched in one arm while her expression remained composed and focused. She dislikes hallways as much as she dislikes crowded places full of wannabes. Hallways are a no-no place to be when you're hiding from someone you don't want to encounter. Not to mention, they often serve as the breeding ground for clichés and nonsensical situations.

The odds of her not meeting Karina in every hallway of the campus are pretty much nonexistent since the latter is everywhere. She doesn't know how she does it, but she concludes that it isn't normal. It's like a game of hide and seek, but Karina's the reigning champion, popping up everywhere, and Winter's half-expecting her to just jump out from behind one of those potted plants one of these days. She's almost tempted to give her a bell collar, like those for cats, just to give Karina's whereabouts away. But imagine if she did... Winter quickly brushed off the thought, sensing it was leading down a familiar path she'd rather forget.

Speaking of the devil, "Hey there, darling," a voice purred from behind her, and Winter felt a playful tap on her shoulder.

Turning around, Winter's cool gaze met Karina's with a hint of impassiveness dancing in her eyes. "Karina," she acknowledged, her tone steady.

Karina leaned against a nearby locker, a sly smile tugging at the corner of her lips. "You know, you've got a way of making even the most mundane hallways look intriguing."

Has she been watching me this whole time? She mutters mentally to herself.

Winter's eyebrow arched slightly, her lips quirking into a half-smile in acknowledgment. "Is that so? Perhaps you've been reading too much into things."

Karina's laughter rang out, the melodious sound echoing down the corridor, grabbing the attention of some students around them. Winter started to feel a little bit uncomfortable. "Oh, Winter, you underestimate the charm of your presence. It's as if you cast a spell on everything around you."

Winter's expression remained unruffled, though a faint blush tinged her cheeks due to the embarrassment. "I assure you, there's no magic involved. Just a normal walk to my next class."

Karina stepped closer, her gaze locking onto Winter's with an undeniable intensity. "Normal, you say? I'd argue that there's nothing ordinary about you." She murmurs into a whisper, baby blue eyes locking on her lips in a flicker, then goes back to gaze at her.

Winter's lips twitched into a wry smile. "Flattery won't get you very far, Karina," she mutters back softly, mimicking Karina's previous act.

Karina chuckled, undeterred by Winter's stoicism. "I don't mind a challenge. Besides, who wouldn't want to unravel the enigma that is you?"

Winter raised an eyebrow, her playful façade giving way to a genuine curiosity. "Enigma? That's an interesting choice of words."

Karina grinned, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "Well, you keep your emotions under lock and key, and I find that rather intriguing. It makes me wonder what secrets lie beneath that composed exterior of yours."

Winter's gaze held steady, her tone maintaining its cool composure. "My emotions are a private matter. And as for secrets, I think you're reading too much into it again."

Karina's smile didn't waver as she took a step back, a mock look of disappointment on her face. "Ah, you're a tough nut to crack, darling. But mark my words, I'm up for the challenge."

Winter shook her head, unable to suppress a soft chuckle. "You're relentless, Karina."

Karina winked playfully. "Only when it comes to someone as intriguing as you." And proceeds to walk the other way.

As Winter continued on her way, their playful exchange was still echoing in her ears, and she couldn't help but feel a faint warmth spread through her. How did she survive that without stammering like a fool? Karina's flirtatious advances may have been met with Winter's stoic demeanour, but there's no denying that she could be the reason for Winter's slow demise one of these days.

AUTHOR

I may update again tomorrow, so watch out for that. And I just want to say thank you for the comments and support. You, nerds, are awesome for staying and not abandoning this story up until now, even though we sort of faltered along the way in the past XD

I mean, I would be furious too if the story I've invested so much time in was taken down by the author, so your feelings are valid. I get it, okay? They got me good with the contract and the formalities, alright!! XD It was an Exclusive contract, btw, if you guys are curious. No one cares? Ok, no one cares XD

I apologise for that, and that's why we're here now, and I'm making up for all the days that I was gone XD But of course, in all honesty, I already signed the contract, and there's a limit on how many free chapters I could give. Um... Let's just not think about that yet. That's going to be a future-me problem.

Well, that's all for me for now! I'll see y'all tomorrow!