Chapter 2

Luke spun around to face the newcomer. He was a tall man, taller than Luke, and much broader. A sword could be seen at his belt and the glint of chainmail visible beneath his cloak was unmistakable. This, accompanied by the kite shaped shield sitting on his left arm, depictinga crude effigy of a boar’s head, made Luke realise who this man was. Or more what he was. This man was a knight, and judging by the quality of his armour, sent straight from the King’s Court.

“Oh, do I now? And what might he want?” A flash of anger flashed across the knight’s face, but it was gone almost as soon as it has appeared. It was only then that Luke realised how careful he really had to be. As good a fighter as Luke might be, he knew he would be no match for a fully trained knight.“He wants your help. In finding something.” The tall man looked at him meaningfully. Of course, Luke thought. The King wanted the Library. He had already guessed as much from the minstrel’s comments, but here it was out in the open.

“Of course you’d be paid, and have the full support of the Royal Court.” Oh, it was tempting, you could be sure of that. With all that support Luke was sure he could find the Library. He could go home......

Unnoticed by the other two, Tom had been using the appearance of the knight and the distraction it had caused to edge away from Luke. Now, deciding he was far enough away, Tom turned tail and ran. A flash of movement in front of Luke, a glimpse of metal flashing through the air, and Tom the minstrel slumped to the ground, as the knight’s knife found its mark. In the moment it struck, Luke was snapped out of his happy illusion. If he helped the monarch he would never be allowed to return home. The King would use the information in the Library to start a war. He would be condemning hundreds of people to their deaths if he agreed.......

“Sorry about that. Had to be done. You see, the King doesn’t want any word of this to get out. I’m sure you understand.”

“No.” Luke said it quietly.

“Sorry, what was that?” The knight’s voice was calm, as if killing the minstrel had meant nothing to him. Nothing at all.

“NO!!” Luke shouted now. Acting on impulse, knowing he had to get away, Luke ran straight at the knight, sending him reeling.

By the time he had recovered from the unexpected attack, Luke was gone, galloping into the heart of the forest.

The LibraryOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara