Chapter 35: Showdown at Tu Zin

Start from the beginning

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iroh and Chiara had been tracking Zuko across the southern Earth Kingdom. One day, Iroh was resting next to a boulder when he found himself suddenly propelled forward.

"Oh, that really hurt my tailbone," he said as he rubbed it. He looked up to see a young earthbender standing on the boulder.

-----------------------------------

Meanwhile, Chiara was in the woods searching for dinner, and as she was walking through the trees a large shadow traveled across the forest floor. Too large to be a bird, she looked up and her eyes grew wide when she saw Aang flying east on his glider. She was curious as to why he was alone and without Appa, and she considered trying to follow him, but she did not want to leave Iroh behind without telling him. She continued her search for their next meal.

-----------------------------------

Iroh poured a cup of tea for Toph.

"Here is your tea," he said as he held it out to her.

She did not move.

"You seem a little too young to be traveling alone," he said still holding the cup.

"You seem a little too old," she replied dryly as she finally took it from him.

Iroh started laughing. "Perhaps I am. But I am not alone. My daughter is out hunting for dinner."

Toph had a blank expression on her face as she just held the cup in her hand. "I know what you're thinking," she said. "I look like I can't handle being by myself."

"I wasn't thinking that."

"You wouldn't even let me pour my own cup of tea." She took a sip.

"I poured your tea because I wanted to and for no other reason," said Iroh.

"People see me and think I'm weak. They want to take care of me, but I can take care of myself, by myself." She took another sip from her cup.

"You sound like my nephew—always thinking you need to do things on your own without anyone's support. There is nothing wrong with letting people who love you help you...not that I love you, I just met you."

Toph laughed and relaxed. "So, where is your nephew?"

"We've been tracking him, actually."

"Is he lost?"

"Yes, a little bit," he said sadly. "His life has recently changed, and he's going through very difficult times. He's trying to figure out who he is, and he went away." His eyes were downcast.

"So, now you're following him."

"I know he doesn't want me around right now, but if he needs me, I'll be there."

"Your nephew is very lucky, even if he doesn't know it." She set the cup on the ground and stood up. "Thank you."

"My pleasure," he smiled. "Sharing tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life's true delights."

"No. Thank you for what you've said. It helped me." She lifted her bag over her shoulder and turned to go.

"I'm glad."

She stopped and turned to him. "Oh, and about your nephew, maybe you should tell him that you need him, too."

Iroh took a sip of his tea as he considered the young girl's words.

---------------------------------

Chiara was on one knee, her bow in her hands with an arrow aimed at a lop-eared rabbit. She could not help thinking how adorable it looked as she watched it nibbling on some vegetation. She hesitated, tempted to search for something else to eat since she was finding the little creature too adorable...almost too adorable as she thought of Iroh waiting for dinner. Just as she was about to release the arrow the ground started shaking and the rabbit immediately hopped away at lightning speed. Wondering what was causing the commotion, she stood up and began looking for the source, but it did not take her long to discover it as she saw the mongoose lizard in the distance through the trees coming towards her. She quickly took cover out of its path, and she waited for it to run past her. From where she hid she could clearly see the rider, and as soon as it was out of sight, she started running back to where she left Iroh.