You can't cry. Not again. If you start then you won't be able to stop. 'I miss him.' It sounded pathetic. It sounded childish. It sounded like you were a young child that wanted a beloved pet to rise from the grave and be with you forever. 'I miss him so much. I'm scared that he won't come back.' Twirling the last strand of pasta around your fork, you were glad that it was only a small amount of food that you'd been given. You weren't sure if your stomach could have handled a full-sized meal.

'I know,' she whispered. 'You trust him though, don't you? You know he'd never willingly leave you?'

A nod.

'Then keep telling yourself that.'

'That's how we managed for four years,' Greg piped up. 'We knew that it wasn't his choice, and he would come back.' He checked his watch and cursed. 'It's time for me to go back out.'

'But it's late.' Gabby frowned.

'I won't be long. You two get some sleep, yeah?' He quickly kissed the top of Gabby's head before hurrying out the front door, haphazardly pulling a waterproof jacket over his clothes.

'Where's he going?' you asked.

'Out to look for Jack. He decided that every three hours he would drive around for two hours looking for him, just in case.'

You frowned. You wanted to be out there searching and beating back the despairing loneliness that you had found yourself consumed by whenever Jack wasn't around.

'It isn't a good idea for you to be out right now, (Y/N).' She was way more perceptive then she let on. 'Greg told me that you lost your memories of him...do you have them back? I know about what happened,' she added. 'With the ritual, and Chernabog.'

'I got them back earlier.'

'Oh, you poor thing, that must make everything so much worse.'

'It does. It's making me feel like huge piece of shit.'

'Why?'

'Because he got his life back, and I ruined it by not remembering anything.'

'But it wasn't anything you could control. He was grateful for the sacrifice that you made, cause he knew you did it for him,' she said gently. 'When we first saw him after he showed up at the police station, he was begging us to go check on you.'

A small, bitter laugh escaped you, and you asked, 'What did I do to deserve someone as sweet as him?'

'I could say the same about Greg, too. I think we've just got to stay close to them.'

'Sounds like a good idea. Did Greg tell you about how far back me and Jack go? My head's feeling a bit jumbled, and I want to organise it.'

'I know a little bit,' she said. 'How much do you know, specifically?'

'...I know about the stalking. And about my stuff going missing.'

Gabby winced, chewing her bottom lip. 'Does that change your opinion of him?'

'No.'

'No?'

'No,' you repeated. 'I mean, yeah, it's a bit weird, but I've seen weirder. Is there a reason he does it—a reason that you know of, that is.'

'I can make a guess,' she offered. 'Greg found the cupboard and made Jack explain himself the day before he went to your work do. Jack told you about his parents, right?'

'Yep.'

'They weren't exactly nice. He doesn't like to admit it, but they're loaded. Like, close to being in the one percent—they're super famous in the financial world. Anyway, from what he told Greg, his parents were pretty suspicious of each other all the way through their marriage, and he would hear them arguing about things the other had done to make them jealous. Then after the arguments, his mother would tell him that once he found his soulmate, he couldn't let anyone take them away. I'd imagine that hearing all that would give someone some pretty bad abandonment and attachment issues.'

'Hence the stalking and obsessiveness?'

'Yeah.'

Taking a deep, calming breath, you tried not to let your anger towards his parents cloud your senses even further. 'Shit.'

'I know.'

'They're the biggest set of arseholes. Ever. First they pressure him into not having a social life so he can focus on getting high grades now this?' Please come back. You need a hug. Biting back a yawn, you added, 'I hope I never meet them.'

'Thankfully, he doesn't have much to do with them anymore. You're tired, right? Where do you want to sleep tonight? The sofa or Jack's room?'

'The sofa is fine, thank you.' You forced a smile. If you even looked into Jack's room, you would definitely succumb to a wave of melancholic hysteria.

That's how you found yourself on the sofa. You had no idea how long you'd been awake for—it was longer then three hours, that was for sure. It felt like Greg had returned hours ago, yet he hadn't gone back out. Did he fall asleep and forget about going out to look for Jack?

You wanted to go out there and search; it was the only thing you wanted to do. The world could have been ending, yet your only thought would have been about searching. A bit more, you would tell yourself, he'll be around here somewhere.

Greg briefly spoke to you when he returned. When the front door opened, you sat bolt upright, heart hammering loudly as the same thing ran through your head. Head peering round the doorframe, your spirit sank in disappointment when you saw that Greg was alone.

He somehow saw you staring through the dimness that filled the house. 'Hey.'

'Hey. Nothing?'

'Nope.'

'Want me to go out and look for a while?'

'No. When it gets light we can go.'

Sunrise wasn't for a few more hours, that much you knew. You asked, 'Are you okay?'

'Not really. You?'

'Far from okay. I can go alone in the morning. Don't worry about it.'

'Two of us will be able to search better.'

He had a point. You sighed, frustrated that there was nothing more that you could do. The local police station didn't open until eight in the morning, but what would they do if Jack's disappearance involved one of No-Face's henchpeople?

Greg went to bed after that, leaving you alone with nothing but a blanket, a pillow, and your thoughts. You curled back up on the sofa, praying that the door would open, or your phone would buzz and announce that Jack was alive and safe.

A knock on the door wasn't what you wanted. Well, it was, but the people behind it were last people you ever wanted to see. You would have been happy going your entire life without seeing their faces.