Chapter 8: A Ray of Hope

Start from the beginning

She opened her mouth to speak, but could not find words fit to describe the sight she had seen, nor the incredible joy that had momentarily dominated her soul.

"I see faith reborn within you, young Flann," chuckled Caron, "Have you ever truly believed that the Maiden existed, watching over us?"

"Never before had I thought so," she revealed.

"Behold, then, a manifestation of her love. She is there and she watches us. Perhaps she does not seem to intervene, but now that you have been enlightened, you may yet see her power in this world, the very power that freed us from the Sea of Flames," he said.

He put his hand upon her shoulder.

"There is something I must teach you before we depart."

Flann nodded.

"I did not want to teach you more than healing, for I was worried you would cast yourself into battle and fall, if I taught you battle magic. Now, however, I see the need to teach you one thing. Within you is the potential for powerful magic. You have the potential for miracles, if you train hard. You shan't cast such a spell in this final battle, nor, perhaps, for many years, but I must see to it that you survive, that you may become a miracle-maker."

He guided her to her tent, where he instructed her to equip herself. He then took her south, out of the ocean of tents and into the highlands.

"Now is time for you to learn a simple spell for battle. Your silver wand is particularly good with wind magic. I will teach you how to summon powerful winds to repel foes. However, those winds can also tear flesh, as you have seen done by the stormborn. I will teach you to unleash such a blast, empowered not by the desire to destroy, but the desire to protect," he explained.

Flann drew her wand and stood ready. Caron put his hand on hers, and one on her back, aligned with her heart. He used his mana to stimulate hers, to direct it and shape it into wind. They spent many hours training. The sun was falling by the time she could rend the earth with a powerful blast. Flann, feeble from the strain and mana-expenditure, thanked Caron.

"Now I may yet be able to protect Walgen for real, rather than being trampled by the demons," she said. 

"I think you have learned your lesson from your encounter with the rogue," stated Caron, "It is important that you remain alive, for you are one of few who could reverse the damage caused by the demons. You are a healer before all."

She nodded, taking a seat on the ground and admiring her work. In several places, there were holes big enough to contain a child. She suddenly found the sight gruesome, as if she had dug child-graves. She thought of the young boy she had found in Kriesgrab.

She turned to Caron and asked: "How do you stay so strong, Caron, when so much death and suffering surrounds you? How can you pray to the heavens when signs are so rare, and when you know that many have already met terrible fates?"

Caron sat next to her. He took a moment to think.

"Simple, it is. If you let yourself be held down by suffering, be it yours or that of others, you will not survive – you will not thrive and find fulfillment," he explained, "But not many have the chance you and I have, the chance to alleviate suffering. Since we have that potential, it is our duty to do so."

"What a daunting task, to care for so many people," admitted Flann.

"I will be honest with you, Flann. As powerful as I have become with years of training and faithful service, I cannot care for all those who suffer. Think of those in the Sea; I can do nothing for them, nor can I care for all who yet tread the realm of the living."

He paused, eyes cast to the ground before him, transfixed, as his mind was elsewhere.

"Not all can be saved... but we must devote ourselves, for that is the only way to succeed at all. We must be healers and miracle-makers as long as we bear mana. What you have no control over, do not let it hinder you. If your soul is in strife, you cannot spread goodness about you."

Flann remained silent, absorbing the wisdom. After a few more moments, they returned to their camp. Flann found Walgen patiently sitting before her tent. He was polishing the boots she had made for him. She sat beside him.

"That was quite something, wasn't it? The Maiden shined upon us today, upon Caron," he commented.

"It was. Today has been a busy day. Caron finally taught me some battle magic. I am quite lucky to have an affinity for wind and the proper wand, otherwise it may have taken much longer to learn to use it. Perhaps I may yet learn to use other elements."

They spoke idly about the morning's tasks, and what waited the next day. 

Suddenly, Flann asked: "Walgen, tonight I would like to make love. I do believe that we will not be waging war much longer. We have not done it for a long time, and I am afraid we may never have the chance again."

Walgen laughed, "I do believe the last time was along the lake, near your farm, back in little Mirthenhelm. I suppose the risk of pregnancy matters little at a time like this."

They ate their evening meal, and after another hour or so, entered Flann's tent. They tied the flap shut with a leather thong.