Something flickers in his eyes. "You're wrong about that."

"How would you know, huh?"

His grip tightens on my arm, drawing a sharp breath from my lips. The way he looks at me, like he does right now, makes me feel like he knows more than he tells me.

I wish he wasn't so good at being secretive. And I wish more so that I didn't care about it.

He lowers that dark, burning gaze back to my wound. "Anything could have happened to you. Why do you insist on making my job impossible?"

"I needed to see him..."

"If I see him in your room, anywhere near your bed, I'm going to murder him," he mutters.

A chill crawls over my skin. Why do I get the feeling he's being literal about that?

I let my frustration fuel my anger. "You really think he's going to sneak in to have sex with me?"

The only reason he has had to be in my room has been to almost kill me....

"He's your mate. It's all he will be thinking about," he tells me.

I roll my eyes. "Whatever."

He rifles through the medical supplies, pulling out a bandage. I watch as he cuts it accurately, stretching it out before he begins to dress the wound.

"Are you going to punish me?" I ask softly.

His eyes flicker up to mine, his brow raised. "How do you suggest I punish you, huh?"

I shift uncomfortably on the counter. The idea that comes to mind isn't one I would be willing to voice to Ark, but it flushes my cheeks with embarrassment nonetheless.

"You could always let me off with a small warning," I exclaim sweetly, giving him a tentative smile.

"I was thinking of something a little more," he draws off, his gaze darkening. "Painful."

I narrow my eyes. "You're going to make me run laps, aren't you?"

He always inflicts that punishment on me when he senses my attention slipping during training. He knows it's my least favourite activity.

"It's going to be hard on you. That's all I know," he says ominously.

Some devilish, sinful part of me wants to know what he means by that...My mind has decided that despite the pain of the wound, it is enjoying being as creative as possible with the images that flash through my mind.

"Why do I kind of like the sound of that?" I whisper.

He looks up through his dark lashes.

"Kiva," he warns quietly.

"I'm joking." Not really.

It's easy to insinuate sex with him because he has an unwavering willpower. If he did decide to take me to bed right now, even though I know it's wrong, I don't think I would protest.

"Uh huh," he mutters.

"All done?" I ask lightly, noting my finished bandage.

He dips his head, stepping back so I can slide off the counter. He towers over me, not stepping away.

"Get some sleep. But we aren't done talking about this," he murmurs.

I can still feel his silent anger. I endangered myself tonight, putting his job at risk...

But there is more than that between us now. And he knows it.

***

The next week passes swiftly by with little drama.