8. The family always stays together

As he flew to the ship, Charlie thought about the latest things that had happened. Isabelle lived in his old house, Peter Pan was his father's brother and consequently also his uncle. 'What a disgust! So now I would be the nephew of that damned brat?', he thought in disgust. Then he thought of Isabelle again so as not to lose focus, risking falling. Another thought, however, occurred to him. Both had brought the Lost Boys to the house of her friend, the same one who had abandoned her on Neverland. He thought that perhaps Isabelle wanted to give her another chance. Maybe she would come back to her to clarify what happened and they would surely fix it. He found it strange that Margaret had abandoned her so suddenly, it must surely have been Peter Pan's fault. While he thought about it, he walked over to the Jolly Roger. He landed softly on the ship's deck, and soon after Scarlett walked over to meet him. "Follow me, Charlie", she told him seriously, "Your father wants to talk to you". He obeyed, a little worried. What could have happened when he wasn't there? As soon as he was in his cabin, James sat him down. Then he showed him a lantern and inside he saw a bright thing stirring. He looked closer and noticed that it was a fairy. "This little winged she-devil did nothing but buzz around the ship", said James, "And when I caught her, she kept repeating that she just wanted to thank the boy who saved her last night". Charlie winced. He remembered the fairy he had saved on the island, but he didn't really expect to find her in front of him. Did she even want to thank him, after all that he and his family had done to the other fairies? "What can you tell me about it?", James continued, glaring bad at him. Charlie didn't know what to say. Everything had happened the previous night, his father was in danger of having severe nervous breakdowns and now there was a new problem. "Yes, father, that's true. I had saved her life", he confessed, staring at the floor, "I don't know why, but I felt sorry for her while she risked drowning". James punched the table, making him jump. "Did you feel sorry for her?!", he yelled, "Great Scott, Charlie! This is not what I taught you! No remorse, no mercy! Especially for these despicable creatures!", "I'm sorry, I swear! I don't know what got into me! I didn't think she would come back after saving her!", "And you have to thank that she didn't come here with her friends to attack us! If it really happened, I would have held you solely responsible! You have disappointed me very much, young man! I thought you had improved and instead you made another one of your disasters!". Charlie was upset. He had always been good at heart, even though he was a pirate. When he found someone in trouble, if they weren't his enemies, he often helped them. He felt compassion. That fairy, then, he didn't see her as a threat and deep in his heart he didn't think it right to let her die like that. He thought quickly of something, then said: "With your permission, father, I intend to take care of her", "Oh, really? Now did it occur to you to kill her?", "Actually, I had another idea in mind", "Take care, boy! You've caused enough trouble already!", "I thought she might come in handy. In short, she could provide us with fairy dust. Obviously, by keeping an eye on her, to prevent her from flying away". James, however, wasn't convinced. He'd already had enough to do with fairies, but having one under his control could really prove useful. "Okay, Charlie", he replied, "I want to trust you. But you will have to check her every single moment". He handed him the lantern. Charlie started to leave, but James stopped him. "Wait a minute", he said, "I know the language of fairies very well, come by me every evening and I'll teach it to you, so you'll understand when that insect subspecies speaks to you". The fairy, hearing him speak like this, answered him badly. Charlie heard only bell-like sounds. James, on the other hand, understood everything and he cursed to the fairy. Charlie barely held back a giggle, imagining what she might have said to him. "Get her out of here, before I changes my mind!", he said furiously, "I really hope your thinking is good, or you will be responsible for whatever disaster will happen if that annoying creature will fly away!", "Don't worry, father. I will not disappoint you, this time", "I hope so for you! Now get out, I need a drink! I'm fed up with these constant surprises!". James filled himself a mug of rum as Charlie walked to his room. Once he arrived, he placed the lantern with the fairy on the table and sat down in front of her. "Why did you come here?", he asked her. Unfortunately, however, he didn't understand her language and didn't know what the fairy was saying to him. "My dad said you wanted to thank me, is it true?", he continued. She moved her head forward, nodding. "I under stand", continued Charlie, "But there was no need. You took a big risk coming here, you know? My father can't stand creatures like you! He just can't stand anyone on the Neverland, especially after what he's been through!". The fairy kept belling. "Sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying", Charlie told her, sighing, "My father managed to learn your language, but I didn't. Let's do this, I ask you a question and you move your head to say 'yes' or 'no'. Agree?". The fairy nodded. Charlie started asking her questions: "As we said before, you're just here to thank me, right?". The fairy nodded. "Aren't you mad at what my family and I did to your friends?". The fairy moved her hands shaking her head from shoulder to shoulder. "Really? Didn't it make you mad this thing?". The fairy shook her head to say 'no'. "Didn't you get along very well with the other fairies?". The fairy repeated the gesture with her hands. "They didn't treat you very well, I assume". The fairy bowed her head and lowered her wings. She was saddened after this sentence. Charlie hoped to learn her language soon to find out more. "Anyway, the important thing is that you didn't come here to take revenge. My family and I don't want any more problems. For now you will remain closed in this lantern until there is a good relationship of trust between us, okay?". The fairy nodded. "Good", continued Charlie, "Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to get some fresh air. I'm still reeling from last night's war. I was also attacked by a giant octopus, and it nearly swallowed me whole! See you later". He left his room, with the fairy watching him with her little hands resting on the glass of the lantern.