5. Painful secrets from the past

While James took the ship to a good hiding place, on the route they passed some galleons and he took the opportunity to plunder them, to also have some souls to donate to Facilier by the end of the month. He fought side by side with Charlie, since his son also had to respect the pact made with the sorcerer and they helped each other. In this way, they were more united than usual, and James was proud of how hard Charlie worked, not just to make up for the mess he had made over the past few days. A few days later, they docked in a port. While his family was relaxing at an inn, James, aided by Scarlett, went to recruit new men for his crew. This time he was more selective, after the clash with Ramòn. He hoped there were no others like him ready to attack him from behind. Meanwhile, Celia and Bethany strolled around the harbor as usual. Charlie didn't follow them this time, but it was the girls who went to him and took him with them. He had sacrificed himself for Celia and this gesture of him made him a hero for both of them. "I can't forgive you", Celia told him at one point, "But I thank you anyway for saving my life". Charlie smiled at her. He was still in love with her, even though he tried not to show it. He took her hand and Bethany's and joined them, making it clear that he was happy for their union. Then, he returned to the inn, where his father was still recruiting new pirates. Glenn, instead, was in a room with Jack. He felt a little better, but he was still distraught. Shortly thereafter, Charlie knocked on the door and entered. He sat down next to him, asking him how he was doing. "I'm fine", Glenn replied, staring at the floor. Charlie put a hand on his shoulder and said: "You know? Dad is very proud of you. He keeps repeating that, despite the situation, you had a lot of courage like few in the world", "I know", "I'm sorry you were scared, but you will see that as soon as you recover you can participate in all the boardings you want. Once the trauma is over, it is no longer so terrible, I assure you", "Yes, but...", "What's wrong?", "I wasn't afraid just for killing that man", "Really? What else were you scared of, then?", "I thought dad was mad at me for disobeying him. He kept telling me that it was too early for me to stab someone with a sword and I didn't listen to him!". Glenn began to cry. Charlie hugged him, then continued: "No, come on! That's not true, he's not angry at all, on the contrary, he's proud of you! I told you, you were very brave, and then that was an emergency situation! Even if you acted on impulse, you did it to defend dad! This shows that for your family you are willing to do anything and he was very pleased for this!", "In recent days, however, he hasn't talked to me much", "It's because now we are all in a critical period, that's all. Now dad and mom are recruiting new pirates, we are all a bit busy, but you will see that as soon as they finish they will come to you". Charlie stayed there with Glenn for a while longer. He did everything to make him feel better, even playing cheerful tunes with his flute, and when the child smiled again, he greeted him and went to get something to drink.

Celia, after the walk across the harbor with Bethany, went to her father. She found him sitting on a pier, intent on observing the sea. She sat down next to him. "Even in New Orleans there was a wonderful sea", he told her at one point, "But that's something else entirely. It hides infinite and very interesting places". Then he gave her a caress, smiled at her and continued: "You have chosen the path of love, just like your mother. As I told you years ago, a part of her will always be inside you. She would be very proud of you now, if she were still here". Celia, moved, hugged him. "Thank you, father", she replied, "I will visit you often, once you have found the right place for you", "I'm sure. You will always be welcome to me. And Bethany too. The love you both feel for each other is really strong, I noticed it while you were fighting side by side. Just like the love your mother felt for me". Celia was really happy. Her father was happy for her marriage to Bethany and he accepted it. They watched the sea for a while longer, after which Facilier got up and headed for the inn, hoping that James had finished recruiting new pirates. Celia, on the other hand, returned to Bethany. The latter had bought two bottles of red and white wine, intent on celebrating their definitive union properly. Celia, however, didn't feel like drinking after what had happened last time. Even though Charlie had finally left her alone, she was still upset after that episode. "Don't worry", Bethany reassured her, "This time I won't leave you alone and lock the door", "Thank you, but if it's okay with you I'd like to stay sober tonight", "No problem, I get it. I'll keep these aside for another moment". They went to Bethany's room and made love.