Chapter 5 - Amortentia

Draco's POV:
"This potion smells like what you are attracted to, now that can be a person, a place anything really," Professor Slughorn says, "the smell should come through in the next 10 minutes."
"Ha perhaps I should have made you shower after your little fly this morning. I don't know how anyone in this class is going to smell anything over your body oder," I laugh giving Potter another thing to crush.
"Make me shower," he laughs, "as if you could actually make me do anything."
I glare at him, "perhaps I make you do a lot of things but I just manipulate you into it quietly," I say and he raises an eyebrow.
"Like how I've got you to clean your bloody stubble out of the sink without you noticing," I tease. His green eyes open wide as he stares at me in disbelief.
"You sly, Slytherin bastard," he says crushing the moonstone a bit aggressively. "We don't all want to use girly products and smell like apples."

Hermione's POV:
I look up to find the source of the bickering, of course, Draco and Harry.
"Honestly it's even more annoying listening them two argue now that they kind of get on," I say to Parkinson who nods in agreement.
"It is a close one though. I had listen to Draco bang on about Potter being up to something for years."
I laugh at the similarity.
"Harry did the exact same."
"Do you think there is anything to what Nott says?" Parkinson says thoughtfully and I frown.
"I don't know. It seems so impossible that they could ever be anything but enemies. But look at them now, yes they will fight and argue but they also sit near each other voluntarily and sometimes they are civil. I mean friends might be a stretch but they might get there eventually," I tell her honestly. Parkinson shrugs turning back to the potion.
"They do say that it is two sides of the same snickle," she says.
"What is?"
"Love and hate," she says as if it is obvious.
I frown eyeing the boys closely. Perhaps it would make sense, why Harry seems to crave is attention and how they've always been so obsessed with the other. But also it seems so impossible, with all the fighting and nasty things said over the years and the fact that Draco was a death eater. And his family, his father.
"Well maybe if you were competent, you could have a job other than cutting," I hear Draco snap making Harry groan loudly in frustration.
"Honestly, father is right. I don't know how they have offered you a job as an auror. All you do is stomp around waving your wand and hoping you get lucky," he laughs making Harry growl.
"Your family tree is definitely a cactus mate, because you are all fucking pricks," Harry hisses and I can't help but chuckle to myself.
"If I didn't think it might mess up my potion I would curse you, idiot," Draco hisses making Harry laugh.
Parkinson and Nott must be crazy, I think as I watch the two boys shove each other discretely so Professor Slughorn doesn't see.

———————

Draco's POV:
I take a seat at the dinner table after a long day of lessons, watching Pansy fuss over Blaise.
"How are you now?" I ask and he shrugs.
"I'm fine, honestly. It was just a headache, Pansy doesn't need to fuss."
Pansy sighs and he kisses her head gently making me smile.
It's very sweet what they have. Their parents do approve of the union but they also love each other and that is the main thing. I've never had someone who I love. It definitely wasn't like that with stupid Nott. It was just convenient. He knew I was gay and he thought he might be bisexual. It was only a laugh but I do regret it now, he was such an arsehole in the end and he told my parents why I would never accept a female partner.
I was very angry about that, but I think in the long run he might have done me a favour. I can't imagine how I would have ever told them something so important and personal. Mother wasn't surprised but after she had calmed father down from the shock they merely went on to provide me with male suitors that they deemed acceptable. They have all been awful so far. One was about forty and the other two used to go on and on about themselves, it was quite annoying.
Mother pointed out the irony in that but, we were clearly not well matched. I need someone who inspires me, who isn't afraid to tell me how it is or if they think I'm wrong. Someone who doesn't just agree with everything I say in the hope of a proposal so they can become a Malfoy and enjoy my inheritance. Someone who will want a family still and someone who wasn't involved in the dark arts but will accept my past and still want a future with me.
I sigh to myself sadly and put a spoonful of pasta and some carrots onto my plate.
Mother did always say I had impossibly high standards.
I ignore Pansy and Blaise's lovey dovey chatter and instead eat some carrots and feel sorry for myself.
Potter....no Harry, Hermione and Weasley sit down beside us and without even addressing us or stopping their conversation Harry puts another few spoonfuls of pasta, some garlic bread and some broccoli onto my plate.
"She's still upset mate," Ron says making Harry sigh.
"What? And I'm not? We've been together for a little while and we've been friends for years but I'm also relieved mate. We barely spoke when we were dating, not like when we were friends and we argued all the time, she couldn't take it, even if she was in the wrong. We do not work as a couple Ron and change is upsetting. But in the long run, we will both be happy when we are friends again."
"If you can ever be friends again Harry, she's pissed at you," Weasley says making Hermione frown.
"Well she has no right to be. It wasn't working because of both of us not just me. She was just the one who finally had the balls to end it. If it wasn't for the pressure from you and your family I probably would have split up at about 2 months in," he says sounding increasingly frustrated.
"Really mate?" Weasley says looking ashamed.
"Yes Ron. We aren't compatible. We are great friends but we are more like brother and sister and that doesn't work in a relationship."
Weasley looks about as thoughtful as he is capable of before sighing.
"She'll come round," Hermione says kissing her boyfriend cheek so he relaxes a bit.
Nott swaggers over to the table taking a seat opposite me and winking.
I glare at him and continue to eat my dinner completely ignoring him.
"I got the password to the prefects bathroom, if you fancy a dip Draco," he says cockily and I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.
"I thought he fucking told you not to speak to him," Harry snaps from beside me before I can respond.
"Piss off and leave him alone dickhead, before I make you regret it."
Nott glares at Harry angrily, "fine I guess I'll leave you and your little boyfriend to it," he snaps standing up and heading a few meters down the table to sit back down.
"Thanks Harry, but I can handle Nott," I say and he shrugs.
"Didn't do it for you. I can't eat if I have to look at his smarmy face," he says with a shrug as he plates up another serving off shepherds pie.
I stare at him, feeling very confused. He normally insults me, he doesn't protect me, no matter what he says I know he did it for me.
Maybe Harry Potter isn't so bad after all.
I notice Hermione eyeing me closely and watching Harry.
"Eat your food, Draco," Harry says, and for once I listen, instead of arguing back.

——