Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 31

Beginne am Anfang

Theo said, "It has nothing to do with Forddon and everything to do with Lady Quinn."

"Our new countess," Connor said.

Theo nodded, and then he said, "He's healed, Connor."

Connor turned to look at Theo, his brows raised. "He's healed? His wound from the dragon?"

Theo nodded.

"The high priest in the capital," Connor said, thinking of the one and only renowned high priest serving the kingdom's court.

Theo shook his head. "Nay, not the high priest. Aldric did have his wound looked at by the man, but it was for naught. The priest himself admitted he has no power to heal such a fatal wound from an ancient dragon. Aldric was told he'd have five years to live, at most."

Connor frowned. "Then..."

"Lady Quinn," Theo said. "She healed him."

Connor was stunned, and the expression on his face said so.

Chuckling, Theo said, "What do you think that makes our new countess? If she could heal a wound even the most renowned high priest couldn't?"

"She's that powerful?" Connor asked.

"Aye," Theo said. "I've seen her heal, Connor. To her, 'tis nothing. All the injured back at Norsewood have been healed. Burned wounds became normal skin. Scarred faces became normal, beautiful faces..." He shook his head, as if he, too, marveled at the magic of it all. "All our injured soldiers here, they'll soon be healed, too."

Connor not only felt hope at hearing Theo's words, but a sense of joy and blessed as well, feelings he had not felt since the dungeon break four years ago.

Everyone was healed back at Norsewood Manor. Didn't that mean his wife Hannah and their children Josh and Declan...

Suddenly, he felt tears brewing in his eyes. Yes, his children, it was very possible they didn't need to lie facedown, flat on the floor any longer. Perhaps they could walk even, and he was desperate to see them again.

The team returned to the northern station late in the afternoon when daylight started to fade, and Connor noted that there were two new carriages posted in front of the building, indicating the rest of the soldiers from Norsewood Manor had arrived. Once they entered the hall, all eyes fell on them, along with the desperate need to know how the subjugation fared.

Connor, never before feeling so elated to spread the news in his life, said, "Lord Norsewood had annihilated fifty of the one hundred hordes of monsters invading our land. Tomorrow, we finish them off and return home."

Astonished looks spread around the hall, followed by an eruption of cheering and some with tears flowing.

While Aldric went to wash off the monsters' bloodstains on his skin and clothing, Connor eagerly got himself a mug of hot coffee, now his new favorite drink. He went to sit down on the chair next to the glowing hearth where Elio and Theo joined him.

After a sip, he said, "The injured soldiers don't look like they're in as much agony as before and their wounds are very clean. Not a bit of bloodstain on the bandages. Those with severe bleeding are no longer bleeding. Their lives are no longer in danger."

"Thanks to Liam's handiwork," Theo said. "The boy's gifted in the medic field. We're lucky to have one such as him. The others learned well from him, too."

"That medicine from the first aid kit thing," Elio said. "Liam said it's to help with easing the pain. A number of soldiers mentioned their pain completely disappeared once they took it."