Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 25

Comincia dall'inizio

Elizabeth nodded and hurried off to begin her duty.

Turning to Maria, Frances, Eden, and Sara, I said, "Can you please ask the people close to the end of the hall to move back. I need space."

"Why?" Sara asked. Goodness, but she was always full of whys this new sister-in-law of mine.

Maria said, "Just do it. Quick."

Still looking as confused as ever, Frances, Eden, and Sara did as instructed, requesting the refugees to move back, thus giving me a decent enough space to work with.

Now, I thought, as I crouched down and planted my palm on the cold, stone floor. Then I closed my eyes and summoned my magic circle. I heard loud gasps echoing across the hall and whisperings of, "What's going on? What's happening? What's my lady doing?"

What was I doing? Feeding you all was what I was doing.

Hmm. What should I feed them? Something warm and hearty. Something soft for the elderlies and the children. Something delicious.

Aha! Beef stew with carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes served with soft, warm rolls of bread. As for dessert, it should be apple and berry crumbles served with orange custard. For drinks, obviously, tea, coffee, and hot cocoa, and of course, the usual hot and cold water.

I finally lifted my hand, stood, and drew back as my magic circle started doing its work. Within seconds, five tables materialized. One had cutlery and was stacked with stainless steel food trays that had compartments perfect for serving multiple dishes at the same time. Three had trays filled with freshly baked rolls of bread and more trays with baked apple and berry crumbles and pots of orange custard. There were three big iron pots, one on each table, filled with beef stew. The last table was set up for serving drinks, with mugs ready and five dispensers, with the labels of which types of drinks in the common as well as English language.

The magic was done within minutes, and by then, it was loud and crowded, with people staring—in both shock and amazement—at the food on offer before them. They were clearly starving, and the delicious aroma that suddenly filled the air certainly didn't help tamp down their hunger.

I turned to Frances, Eden, and Sara, who had their mouths dropped opened and their eyes wide in disbelief. I said, "Can you please get the other women in the families and the cooks and maids here. I'll show everyone how to serve."

They managed to regain their senses, and Sara went rushing off to call in the cooks and the maids while Eden called in their cousins. About ten minutes later, they surrounded me. I began demonstrating how to serve, then the cooks and the maids took their stations. Meanwhile, Maria, along with the maids, was tasked with telling everyone to line up and pick up food trays and cutlery while Eden, Sara, Frances, and their cousins and a few other maids took the already-filled food trays and mugs to the children, elderlies, and those severely unwell, some with burn scars, and some who couldn't walk.

Within no time, three lines were formed, and there was a loud buzzing of excitement and anticipation. While that was happening, I turned my attention to the mothers with newborns and toddlers Elizabeth had gathered.

"My lady," one said, taking my hands gently in hers. "You truly are sent to us by the deities." There was a series of nodding of the heads in agreement.

I didn't know whether I was sent here by a higher power or not, but I guessed since I had the ability to, there was no way I wouldn't help. They were my people now, after all.

I summoned my magic circle and created another station, this one for the newborns. It had baby bottles and a dispenser with formula milk, and it'd always kept fresh and warm, magically. At the bottom of the table there were also diapers in different sizes, baby wipes, rubbish bags, and different sizes of warm infant clothing, mostly colorful onesies with animal ear hoodies. Once Elizabeth had gathered the parents around, and there were quite a number of them, I began my demonstrations.