Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 21

Start from the beginning

"Yes, of course," he said and then took over the job from her.

When it was done, he unzipped one of the tents and looked inside, curiosity eating at him. To his astonishment, it was very spacious and there was a floor made of the same fabric as the wall and roof. Sleeping blankets were already laid out, too, or what he assumed were blankets. Since there were four of them, he also assumed this was the men's tent.

"It's a sleeping bag," Quinn said behind him.

"Sleeping bag?" Theo repeated.

"It's like a blanket, only it covers all of you, including your back. I'll show you how to get in." She slipped through between him and Vincent and demonstrated by unzipping the side of the blanket as she had done with the tent. "And you just slip right in," she said and wiggled herself into the sleeping bag. "It's very warm and cozy." She got out again. "Right, gentlemen, you can arrange amongst yourself who takes which sleeping bag. As for me and the women, we're going to wash up and get ready for bed."

As she headed out, Aldric followed her and said, "In case anything happens, I'll keep watch close by."

She looked at him and nodded. "But no peeking."

He felt the urge to chuckle. "No peeking," he said.

About fifteen minutes later, he found himself sitting on a boulder a distance away from the river, his back to the giggles and laughter that belonged to his bride and her mother and cousin.

"It's cold, Quinn," Maria moaned.

"Cold? It's freezing," Quinn remarked.

When they were done, they were shivering from head to toe and Aldric couldn't help but shake his head.

"Let's get you warmed up," he said.

"You know the water is freezing cold?" she said. "But it's worth it. I'm not going to bed uncleaned." She smiled and ran her tongue over her teeth. "Hmm. Feels clean. It's good to always brush."

Brush? Did she mean her teeth?

After warming up in front of the fire, Quinn scuttled into the tent, saying, "Good night, Aldric."

"Good night, Quinn," he replied. It looked like having her in his arms during the night would have to wait until they got to Norsewood.

With the women retired for the night, Liam turned to Theo and said, "Uh, Mr. Wakefield?"

Theo said, "Theo. Call me Theo."

"Um, Th... Theo, I know it's discourteous of me to ask since we've only just met, but I was wondering if you could give me a few pointers on how to become a knight?"

Theo raised a brow. "You wish to become a knight, Liam?"

Liam nodded. "Since I was a boy, sir. Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to join any sort of academy or become an apprentice."

Aldric said, "Then perhaps you'd like to join our academy? We have one at Norsewood. It's small, but it's one of the best in Athol. Theo is one of the instructors there."

Vincent said, "Once graduated, you'll automatically become a warrior knight of Norsewood and are tasked to protect the land. You'll get paid handsomely. When the kingdom calls during a war, you'll also join our troop to the battlefield."

Liam widened his eyes. "Oh, I see. Will I have to go through a sort of examination to enroll, sir?"

Aldric said, "As long as you pass the requisite fitness test, as knights require strength and stamina. Everything else, you'll learn during your three years of training."