Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

She had been exquisitely beautiful at the wedding ceremony adorned in that white gown, the likes he had never seen before, even in the capital where fashion in Athol ruled. Now that she was in a pair of fitted trousers, blouse, and vest—attire in a style he had never seen on any men or women before, she was still beautiful, though in a different sort of way. In this, she looked more relaxed and at ease and ready for travel.

Suddenly, she stood on tiptoe, and with a hand that gently cupped his face, which surprise him, she leaned forward, and—to his astonishment—kissed him softly on the lips.

It was a pleasant kiss, and Aldric wanted another. But alas, she moved back and said, "Shall we get going?"

His mind still on the kiss, he nodded. "Mm-hmm."

He turned on his heel, and he, Vincent, and Theo headed toward the door where Elizabeth and Maria stood waiting. He was just exiting the room when he heard Lady Bedford shrieking, "Dear!" This was followed by Iris crying out, "Papa!" and Calla said, "What's wrong with him? Why did he just faint?"

He turned to see Quinn saying, "Oh dear, he must be heartbroken that his beloved daughter is leaving." He didn't miss the sarcastic tone in her voice.

When she turned and strolled toward him, he saw her snickering, and he had the urge to smile in amusement. Once she was beside him, he lifted his hand and stroked her hair. He said, "You are a very interesting one, bride."

"Am I?" she asked, grinning brightly, showing those pearly white teeth of hers. He wondered how in heavens she had them so clean and white. Magic? Or something else. Regardless, the appearance made her smile even more beautiful.

They went down to the courtyard where their stallions and a carriage were waiting for them. Aldric noticed that the carriage, a lavish vehicle, was large though it looked small and lightweight at the same time. As for the horses which Liam was currently tending to, he had never seen ones so fit and healthy and remarkably beautiful.

"The beginning of our journey," Quinn said, drawing his attention to her as he watched her skipping toward the carriage in excitement. "Can't wait to see what's out there." She climbed in after Elizabeth and Maria.

Aldric came to close the door for her where she leaned forward across the opened glass window of the carriage and rubbed her nose against his, which surprised the heavens out of him. "Let's go, dear husband," she said as she moved back.

She truly was a character, he thought, and headed toward his stallion, a rare, amused smile on his lips. After climbing on, they headed out, with Theo taking the lead and Vincent at the rear while he rode beside the carriage.

It didn't take long for them to leave Bedford behind, and soon, they traveled through low-lying farmland where fields of green stretched far and wide across the horizon. Finally, after about five hours, they made their first stop near the river close to the woods.

Aldric had wanted to journey until they reached a village so Quinn and her family could spend the night in a tavern where it was warm and safe. However, it was getting dark, and he didn't want to risk running into monsters, especially now that he had Quinn and her family under his care and protection. He guessed his bride would have to sleep outside in the open air with him. He'd make sure she was warm in his arms though.

Theo started a fire, and while Liam and Vincent tended to the horses and Quinn, Elizabeth, and Maria came to sit around the warmth, Aldric left for his routine scouting, checking for any signs of danger that might be lurking about during the night. Satisfied that the area was safe, he returned to their campsite to see Quinn pulling out a series of boxes, shallow and wide, unlike the ones made of flax he had seen before.