x. i wish you were a better man

Start from the beginning

Kade Kazansky was her father's daughter, and she would do the same for her family.

She wasn't there for them before, but she was now. She wouldn't let them down again.

Kade was strong for her mother, and she felt more worthy of her love than she ever had. She helped Sarah break the news to her brothers, she held them when they cried, and she made sure they ate and slept and let themselves mourn. Finch had been fussier than usual, refusing to be left alone at any time. Kade made sure a family member was with her constantly, so she didn't feel so scared.

Pete was a god—send, as she expected. He was there, just a presence in the house, providing any assistance when necessary. Bradley was there, too, and he was finally given the chance to meet and bond with Finch who needed him as a distraction. Kade arranged the whole funeral, made calls and set dates and ensured her father got full honors as he deserved.

When the day finally arrived, Kade got into uniform. In her full dress blues — which she hadn't worn in seven years, she stood with her family. Kade kept close to Sarah, a shoulder for her to lean on while Finch clung tightly to her hand, crying softly into her pant leg, wearing that dress her grandfather chose for her. A little blue one, with airplanes on it. Tom would have liked that.

Kade watched as Maverick pounded the wings into the casket, fighter jets formed the missing man formation overhead, and the flag folded thirteen times before it was delivered into Sarah's waiting hands. All the while, that photo of Tom 'Iceman' Kazansky watched over them all.

It felt like he was here somehow.

Looking away from the hole in the ground, Kade saw that most of the fleet had come, but really, she noticed that every single candidate from the special detachment were present. In support of her father, of Maverick, and of... her. Somehow, without her realizing it, even when she was doing her most to resist it, they had become her friends.

Suddenly Kade saw the true meaning behind Tom's motives in making sure she was part of this mission; he was dying and he wanted to die safe in the knowledge that his daughter had a life for herself.

Days too late, she wished she could thank him.

When the funeral ended, people paid their respects. It was awful. It churned her stomach when people cried and apologized and told them how much they understood her family's pain. They didn't. As Maverick talked quietly to Sarah and the boys, the other candidates spoke to Kade and Finch — giving hugs and pats of encouragement before Bradley shooed them away. Then, her big brother pressed a kiss to her cheek. All the while, he remained perfectly silent. Somehow, seven years and a childhood later, Bradley Bradshaw still understood what Kade Kazansky needed most.

Silent understanding.

Pete seemed to appear out of nowhere to pull Kade in a tight hug. Instinctively, she wrapped her arms around his waist, tucking her chin onto his shoulder. He felt warm. He felt safe. He felt the closest she would ever get to her father again.

"You know he loved you so much," he whispered in her hair.

She swallowed hard, "I know... He loved you, too."

Maverick pulled away with tears in his eyes as he cupped her cheek and bumped their foreheads together. She squeezed his wrist gratefully and nodded her silent assurance. Once he was sure she was okay, he crouched to Finch's level and when she mutely extended her arms, he scooped her up.

Jake lingered a few feet away, his green eyes bright with concern.

Maverick shifted Finch on his hip, "I'll take her for now. You go for a bit..."