viii. i thought i couldn't love anymore

Start from the beginning

Kade knew from personal experience that, both in the sky and on the ground, Jake did not hesitate before taking action. He recognized that taking anything longer than a second to make a decision would mean the difference between life or death. His speed was his greatest strength, but also his weakness. Kade was beginning to dread that his need to be the fastest — the best — meant quick reactions and dangerous maneuvers that left his wingmen in the open.

The first dogfight of the day had Hangman as the solo with Fanboy and Payback as his team, in a double—seater. And of course, they were struggling to keep up with their wingman.

"Hangman, ease up! The canyons' getting tighter."

"Negative, Payback." Hangman evenly replied over the comms, "Increase your speed."

He led the charge through the canyon, twisting rapidly back and forth through the grid on Kade's screen. Hondo had his arms crossed tightly over his chest, one brow raised behind his glasses. Maverick leaned against the wall, watching through narrowed eyes. Neither of her co—workers were overly pleased at Hangman's constant habit to leave his wingmen hanging.

"You're going too fast, man!"

Hangman responded with a smirk in his voice, "Well, no harm in being ahead of schedule."

"D—mn it, slow down!" Payback shouted tightly, "I can't stay on the course!"

Fanboy desperately cried, "Ahh, you're gonna hit the wall, watch out, watch out, watch out!"

Unable to follow Hangman's tight turn, their jet collided with the wall of the canyon. Thankfully, no such wall existed in the moment, but one day — exactly fourteen days, in fact — the wall would be there. And they would be dead. 

Kade knew if he continued like this, Hangman wasn't going to be happy with the results of the missions election. 

Back in training, Maverick leveled the leader with a stern stare, "What happened?"

Fanboy and Payback refused to look at their wingman, lips pursed, eyes glaring away at the board. Kade understood the feeling. She was mad at Hangman, too.

"Well, I flew as fast as I could." Jake grinned up at them, dipping his chin pointedly, "Kinda like my a—s depended on it."

Kade's eyes narrowed.

"And," Rooster cut in, irritation dripping from his tone, "You put your team in danger and your wingman's dead."

Jake's grin widened in arrogance, "They couldn't keep up."

Kade's narrowed eyes looked away, stomach churning in disgust. He didn't understand. He never had to lose a wingman. If he had lost a wingman... he wouldn't say such things. He would understand the price of these mistakes, and right now Jake didn't even hesitate to make them.

It was beginning to make Kade nauseous. 

Alternatively, Bradley hesitated too much. It was clear her brother had the skills; he just didn't have the confidence. He was hesitant to reply upon his instincts and make those split—seconds decisions that would save his life in a fight. In the sky, Bradley and Yale were getting into problems of their own. Once again, his unwillingness to pick up the pace got the better of him — leaving them in the dangerous skies over a minute late to the target.

In the training room, Maverick pinned him with his irritation, "Why're you dead? You're team leader up there. Why are you, why is your team, dead?"

Tension rising, Kade couldn't already see that this was going to lead nowhere good. 

"Sir." Phoenix spoke up, bringing her fist from her mouth, "He's the only one who made it to the target."