𝓒𝓱.15 ~ 𝓐 𝓜𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻'𝓼 𝓦𝓲𝓼𝓱𝓮𝓼

The next day Kaleb went about his duties, knowing Jezamine was in good hands with the Royals and the healers. Being a Guard wasn't as fun as being a thief, and it wasn't as free roaming. He was starting to miss the Guild more and more each day he had to sleep in that uncomfortable bunk bed surrounded by snoring men...

He didn't miss Caine's cruelty or the blood stained floors of the factory, but he did miss his own bed and his thief attire. The Guard's armour he wore everyday was stiff and uncomfortable. Kaleb wanted to finish the mission as soon as possible so they could go home.

While he played Guard, Kaleb tried to come up with a way for Jezamine to steal the jewels. He would need to distract the Guards on watch at the Tower of Lights entrance. Jez filled him in on the layout and how many King's men were stationed to protect the crown.

"Jacob, you are wanted by the General." Darren said with a glum smile.

Kaleb sighed, making his way to the Quarter's wondering what the man could possibly want to talk about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexander disapproved of his mother letting Marigold stay at the castle so they could keep in touch with one another. The Queen hoped for them to elope and for Alexander to make Marigold his wife. Lady Marigold was too much for Alexander at the best for times. The thought of having to marry her made his stomach twist into a knot. Sometimes he wished he had not been born a Royal...

What would he have been if he had not been born a Prince?

A merchant? A Shopkeeper? A Farmer? A Thief?

The list of possibilities were endless but Alexander couldn't picture himself as anything but a Prince. The Royal life was the only thing he knew, and he disliked the responsibility of the title he wore. Maybe in a different lifetime, he could be someone else.

The Prince left the castle before his mother or Marigold could spoil his time alone to think. Riding through the nearby forest, he tried to clear his head from all his worries and doubts about becoming King. Instead focusing on the scenery surrounding him - snowy mountains, evergreen trees, rabbits and deer feeding on bushes of blueberries.

Alexander slid off the saddle, tying his horse to a nearby branch before picking blueberries for himself. He savoured the sweet flavour as the fruit burst on his tongue reminding him of the Cook's blueberry pie.

After he was full, the Prince picked a small tree near the creek to lie under for a rest. He was in no hurry to get back to the castle, wanting to waste as much time as possible before returning. Alexander was grateful no Guards spotted him as he snuck out of the gates because he wanted to be alone.

Drifting off to the sound of birds chirping, Alexander dreamt of Lady Jezamine dancing in a field of wild flowers, her dress made of flower petals and vines. She hummed a harmonic melody attracting all the wildlife in the forest...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Take a seat Jacob." The General instructed, Kal did as he was told. "You and I need to have a serious talk."

Kaleb tried to hide his nerves, feeling his palms get clammy. Usually he was confident during all his missions, never having a doubt of his capabilities. But right now, in this very moment...Kaleb felt the heat. His disguise as Jacob may have been compromised thanks to Marcus's return. Kaleb waited patiently for the General to speak.

"You have heard the news of Marcus?" He finally spoke.

"Yes sir, but he is in good hands with the Royal Healers."