Chapter 2 - Awakened

Clyde

I was about to retire to bed after a long day's work when I heard a loud and urgent knock on the door.

I glanced at my pocket watch on the desk.

12 midnight.

What urgent matter could this be that it couldn't wait till morning? I wondered. Could it be, the princess? I shook my head. Impossible.

"What is it?" I asked, opening the door. To my surprise, it was one of the guards of the princess' room, looking rundown from probably hurrying towards here.

"She's awakened." He paused to catch his breath. "The princess." He said in a flurry.

"Are you sure?"

"Y-yes, she-"

I didn't let him finish and rushed towards the princess' room.

How could this be? She was supposed to wake up on the third day. Did the spell not work properly? Was the spell not enough? 

I was heading towards her room and just in time, the two maids assigned to her also arrived hastily. 

I went inside the room first without knocking due to my adrenaline rush, and indeed, she was awake.

She was sitting on her bed with a calm demeanor but also with a confused and worried look on her face.

I can sense her mana emanating from her, but weak. Though her mana seems weak now, still, one can't deny the overwhelming power inside her, waiting to be awakened.

After assuring her of her safety with us, I immediately rushed to my other office downstairs.

Taking out a quill and an ink, I wrote to the headmaster briskly. I rolled the small parchment and gave it to the black raven waiting by the window. 

I sighed as I leaned on the wall just beside the window pane. What a long day.

I hope he'd come by tomorrow. 

The first rays of the sun shone through my window as the morrow arrived. I was up and ready when I heard a knock from the door.

I opened it to see the head maid. "The headmaster has arrived, Master Clyde." She stated.

"Prepare the main office, and call for the princess." 

She hesitated for a moment, but bowed and hurried on.

She must've thought we'll be discussing in the drawing room since the headmaster is there waiting. But the matter of discussion is too confidential and.. dangerous for anybody to hear.

I put on my coat and headed downstairs to the drawing room.

Master Edsley was already sitting on the arm chair facing the window with both his aged hands resting on the round silver stone attached to his cane.

A small smile rested on his wrinkled face as if taking in the beauty of the room. Morning light shone through his bearded face.

I was about to open my mouth to speak, but he interrupted me.

"A beautiful day isn't it Clyde?" The headmaster muttered in a raspy, old voice even before I could greet him.

I was sure I entered very discreetly and without a single sound. But he still sensed my presence.

I just shook my head and smiled.

"Indeed it is, headmaster. I'm glad you were able to receive my message right away, and come over here as soon as you can."