OH, LIGHTNING STAR, YOU'LL REGRET THAT!

Start from the beginning

"We can't kill Lightning Bolt!" Frisk burst out. "What about Mistral? What about Napstablook? The rest of his family! Everyone who loves him!"

"WHAT ABOUT ALL HIS FANS?" Papyrus's voice sounded strangely small. "HE'S GIVEN US ALL SO MUCH HOPE. HE CAN'T JUST..."

"There is no choice." Asgore looked as tragic as Mistral had ever seen him. He directed his next words to Napstablook. "I am sorry, young one. I know you are his closest family here."

"it's.... alright...." Blooky looked down, tears falling from their eyes. "i've already...... said goodbye to him before."

"Isn't there always a choice?" Frisk looked up at Asgore. "We can always choose to SPARE, can't we?"

"Not this time."

"You're just the same as always, Asgore." Toriel shook her head, angry. "But... I must admit I don't see another solution."

"I can't take this anymore!" Mistral suddenly burst out. "Do you all hear yourselves? What Lightning Bolt needs is JUSTICE! Does this feel like JUSTICE?"

"Mistral-" Ford started.

"No! Don't stop me! I know I'm right!" Mistral crossed her arms. "Mettaton Blook took my father from me. I'm still willing to forgive. Not forget, but forgive. What does that say about all of you?"

"She's right." Mabel spoke up. "If he can be redeemed..."

"But what if he can't be?" Dipper asked quietly. "We need to get him out of the way somehow."

"Dipper..." Mabel's eyes widened.

"Does anyone have another solution?" Ford asked, voice heavy.

The room was silent. Mistral stared at everyone, the JUSTICE in her SOUL extra indignant about how stupid everyone was being.

"I don't believe this." She hissed out. "You're all so full of... shit."

"M-Mistral!" Alphys gave Mistral a shocked look. "I know! I know. But if there's n-nothing we can do..."

"How can you all... abandon him?" Mistral stared back at Alphys. "How can you abandon your best friend?"

Alphys looked down in shame. Mistral scoffed.

"Right. I see how it is." Mistral stood up. "I'm done with these meetings. They're completely and utterly useless to me."

"Mistral, wait!" Frisk grabbed Mistral's arm. "We can still-"

"No, we can't." Mistral shook them off. "There's nothing to be done, apparently."

"Let her go," she heard Dipper say softly as she stormed out of the room. "She just needs some time to cool down."

Some time to cool down??? That was most definitely NOT what Mistral needed. What she needed was to be able to reach Mettaton. And fast. Before the so-called Resistance could end his life.

She walked quickly through the halls, her feet already knowing where she was headed before even her mind did. She was almost surprised when she realized where she'd gone, but Mistral supposed it made sense. Mettaton's room... as good a place as any.

Mistral locked the door behind her when she entered the room. She was more familiar with it than ever now. She'd had a few more talks with Rose since the first one, and the place they used was always this room. It helped.

She settled back on the bed and shut her eyes. She had JUSTICE and HOPE on her side, surely she could get through this mental block...? She devoted all her strength into making that stubborn robot hear her.

Mettaton... Mettaton. Lightning Bolt! C'mon, just answer me... Mettablook? Does that- no??? Why can't you hear me?? What's wrong with you?? Ughhhhh, Lightning Bolt! It's me! Mistral! Please, please tell me you can hear me!

HE CAN'T. BUT I CAN.

Mistral jumped. That was Bill! And he sounded... annoyed. She felt her shoulders tense up, but then she took a deep breath. She could do this.

Let me talk to Mettaton.

YOU MEAN LIGHTNING BOLT! His laugh echoed throughout her brain. She groaned. OH, LIGHTNING STAR. I'M NOT STOPPING YOU FROM TALKING TO YOU! HE'S DOING THAT ALL ON HIS OWN!

Give him back! Mistral wanted to punch Bill in the face. Unfortunately, he was only in her mind. I know you're controlling him.

GIVE IT UP, GIRL. Bill's voice in her mind hurt to... not listen to. It was so much worse than that. HE'S NOT YOUR FRIEND ANYMORE. HE'S A DEMON. A PRINCE OF CHAOS. HE'S MINE, FOREVER.

Don't get too comfortable. Mistral lashed out with her mind, trying to make him feel the same mental pain. I will get him back.

Bill was stunned silent for a moment. Then he laughed again. I DON'T DOUBT IT, KID! YOU'RE REALLY SOMETHING SPECIAL! MAYBE YOU WOULD'VE MADE THE BETTER DEMON!

Not interested.

NO... BUT PERHAPS YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN A LITTLE FRIENDLY COMPETETION?

You're not friendly. Why would I do that? You killed my father!

NAH, KID, YOUR FRIEND DID. BUT LISTEN. I WANT TO SEE WHERE THIS GOES. SO I CAN YOU A FEW HINTS FROM TIME TO TIME... AND YOU CAN TRADE A LITTLE RESISTANCE INFORMATION BACK... AND SO ON AND SO FORTH UNTIL ONE OF US WINS.

Wins... what?

WELL, IF YOU CAN GET LIGHTNING BOLT BACK TO THE PERSON YOU THINK HE IS IN ONE MONTH... THEN I'LL BACK OFF! LEAVE YOUR LITTLE RESISTANCE GROUP BE.

And if I fail? Mistral didn't trust this. Didn't trust Bill. But a chance to save Mettaton... That was worth something.

THEN YOU'LL HAVE TO WORK FOR ME PERMANENTLY.

Mistral hesitated. Become a (hopefully temporary) spy... in exchange for the closest thing she'd ever had to an older brother? Either way, she'd be close to him again... Mistral knew it wasn't a good idea, but...

Fine. Make it a deal.

THIS IS TOO EASY! The laughter echoed throughout her mind. For an instant, in her mind's eye, she was shaking Bill Cipher's flaming hand, and then his presence left her mind entirely.

What had she just done? She really prayed she wouldn't come to regret that deal.

"Mistral? It's me." A gentle knock came at the door, accompanied by a familiar voice. "Sorry to... interrupt, but can I come in?"

Mistral projected an acknowledging feeling at Rose and got up to open the door. She didn't really want to talk to Rose, but it wasn't like she could pretend she wasn't in there.

"I heard about what happened." Rose entered the room as soon as the door was open. Mistral closed it again. "Sorry, that really sucks."

"About what...?"

"The Resistance meeting?" Rose cocked her head at Mistral. "Y'know, they decided to murder Glittertits? Like I said, really sucks."

"Oh. That." Mistral bit her lip. "Yeahhhhhhh."

"Sorry again." Rose hugged Mistral, holding her tight. "I'm not abandoning you. Don't worry about that. I'll support you in your crusade."

"Thanks, Rose." Mistral was at a loss for words. Didn't Rose see what she'd done...? If she had, she wasn't acknowledging it. That was... nice of her. "We'll get him back. Your father, too. We'll fix everything.

"Your hope really is infectious." Rose murmured. "I believe it."

Mistral smiled. She wasn't alone. JUSTICE would win out in the end.