one

Ally's POV

Baby John and I woke up this morning to the sound of a whistling Jet. I got up and put on one of the dresses that Anita made for me.

We live just outside of the Lincoln Center neighborhood of Manhattan

We live just outside of the Lincoln Center neighborhood of Manhattan. Once we're ready, Baby John and I head to Doc's, where I work with Tony as a stocker. When we get there, Tony lets us in.

"Morning, John. Hey, Gator," he tells us.

"Morning, Tony," BJ says. I call Baby John "BJ" sometimes.

"Hi, Tony," I say.

"Buenos días," Valentina says, coming downstairs.

"Buenos días, Val," I tell her. I'm one of the few people she lets call her "Val."

I help Val with some things upstairs while Tony does inventory downstairs. I spot BJ for a couple of candy bars, and he sits around eating them and reading comics. Some time goes by before I hear knocking on the window. I look up to see Riff.

"BJ," I yell. "Riff's outside!"

"Alright. Bye, Ally," he says, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"He really looks up to you, estimada," Val says.

"He does," I tell her.

About an hour or so later, I leave for work at Gimbal's. I grab a quick lunch from a cafe in San Juan Hill, where the Puerto Ricans live. I pass by a lot and see police cars. I stop to see Lieutenant Schrank pull something out of Baby John's ear and toss it to Bernardo. I make my way over after the Sharks and police have left.

"BJ," I call out. "What the hell happened?"

"One of the spics nailed him," Riff said.

"Yeah, I can see that, dumbass."

I turn to my boyfriend, Ice.

"Ice, you promised me you would look after John and make sure he never gets injured," I tell him.

"Relax, babe."

"Don't tell me to relax," I say.

I turn to Mouthpiece and Little Moly.

"Take him to Doc's. Valentina will know what to do," I tell them.

They nod and Action opens his mouth.

"They can't make us up and leave! We're here, ain't we?"

"American citizens, which them spics ain't! Them they can chase off, not us," A-Rab says.

"Porto Ricans are Americans, ya ignoramus," Diesel says.

"Ah, go eat a green banana!"

"Porto Rico's like a state. Ain't it? So Deez is right, they're - " Snowboy says.

"No, it's somethin else, I forget what they call it, like a - " BJ says.

"There're only forty eight states, ya dead battery, 'n whatever Porto Rico is - " Mouthpiece says, cutting them both off.

"And whatever they are, citizens or who gives a fart, what we know is - " Balkan starts.

"They. Ain't. Us," Mouthpiece says.

"So spill it, Krazy Kat, what're you thinkin," Ice asks Riff, not leaving my side.

"I'm thinkin it's past time for a rumble. For a all-in all-out once-and-for-all winner-takes-all high-noon-shootout-atthe-OK-Corral rumble," Riff says, pulling A-Rab off the ground.

"Thermo-nuclear!"

"Wild blue yonder!! About time!!"

"We do 'em like we done the Egyptian Kings," Riff says.

"And the Emeralds," Ice tells them.

"And the Bishops," Tiger adds.

Riff goes on to tell the guys his plan and I pull Ice and BJ to the side.

"I don't want my brother getting involved in this," I tell Ice.

"To be fair, neither do I," BJ says with a nod.

"Don't tell the guys this, but I'm going to Anita's before the dance and you're coming, Ice."

"Fine."

"BJ, when you're done here, Little Moly and Mouthpiece are gonna take you to Doc's and Val's gonna clean you up," I tell my brother.

He just nods and says nothing because he knows if he goes home looking like this, our parents ain't gonna be happy.

"Now," I say, looking at my watch, "I'm going to be late for work."

I give Ice a kiss and hug BJ. I make my way to Gimbal's to start my shift. As I leave Gimbal's, Ice is standing by the door, smoking.

"That's bad for you," I say, taking the cigarette from his mouth.

"How was work," he asks, kissing my cheek.

"Fine," I tell him.

"Where's the dress you're wearing tonight?"

"Anita's. She wanted to make me a new one," I say.

With that, we walk to Anita's apartment in San Juan Hill. When we arrive, Maria opens the door.

"Hola, Ally."

"Hola, Maria. This is my boyfriend, Ice," I say.

"Encantado de conocerte," she says.

"She's saying that it's nice to meet you," I whisper to him.

"Oh, uh, likewise, Maria."

"Maria, quién está en la puerta?"

"Ally y su novio, Anita!"

"¿Novio? ¿Desde cuando," Anita says, coming to the door.

"Two months ago," I tell her.