ika-38

Ikatatlumpu't-walo

Back to level one

-

I felt him first before I saw him. Nang bumukas ang pinto dito sa labas ay may umangat na sa'king hindi ko maintindihan. At mas lalo lang iyong dumoble sa takot at pagkakalito ko dahil tila isa akong bagay na lumulutang lang. Not really living. 

   "Why are you out here in the cold?"

   It was still four pm. And I don't feel anything but emptiness, especially when my head is abnormally unaligned with my body. 

   Subalit humataw ang naninigas kong damdamin nang tiningala ko ang estranghero mula kanina. "I wanted to see the view."

   I took notice of his white dress shirt that was rolled up to the elbows. An obvious coffee stain ruined the perfect image of his upper body, and his face was unreadable yet eyes so striking, so raw, so. . . 

   Familiar.

   He spoke when I tore my eyes away. "Anything?"

   Hindi ko alam kung para ano iyon, subalit umiling ako. 

   "Where do you hurt?"

   "Just the pain of realizing that I'm stupid enough not to grasp any bit of memory."

   It can make me feel upset, with the confusion and the zero view of yesterday and the days before that. 'Yun ang sinabi ng nurse. At hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko upang maagapan ang damdaming iyon. I didn't know myself now, but I had to have just one single hope that would keep me fighting. 

   Hope was one big question.

   Naramdaman ko siyang lumapit pa at wala sa posisyong rumesponda ang isang bahagi ng dibdib ko. 

   "You will survive it," he said, voice husky. Parang wala siyang balak tantanan ako ng tingin. 

   I gripped the IV fluid and turned to the buildings. 

   "Can I. . . hold you?" 

   Dahan-dahan akong umiling. I don't even know this man, but so far he was the first that made a fit out of my senses. 

   "At least hold your hand?" dugtong niya bilang pakiusap. 

   Nanatili akong tahimik.

   It was supposed to be weird. But I know I knew him. Ang tanging memorya na paulit-ulit sa isipan ko ay ang kanina noong pinagsalikop niya ang mga daliri namin. Hinalikan ang kamay ko. And his voice when he called me, "my love".

   It was like my body was introduced to a new kind of shivers.

   "I'm nervous, I don't know why." Sinikap kong iwaksi ang mga iyon at nagbukas ng usapan. "I just woke up two hours ago and I couldn't grip a single thought of how, why, and what. I should be scared because I didn't even know the cause of my accident. But I'm occupied because R-Ramona told me our parents were coming and my boyfriend kaya hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagawin ko sa sandaling makaharap ko sila at walang masabi tungkol sa kalagayan ko."