Remember Our First Kiss

Start from the beginning

'Don't be so hard on yourself. You just said it; it was either turn her or lose her. I know you made the right choice.'

'Thank you,'

'For what?'

'For just being so wonderful.'

'You are too sweet. Besides, you make it easy.'

'I'm sorry to cut this short but I don't know how much longer I can keep my eyes open,' texted Damon.

'I'm pretty tired myself, g'nite.'

'G;nite.'

VVV

"Hello," Emma answered in a groggy voice.

"Emma, its Elena."

"Elena! What's happening with Jeremy?" asked Emma now being fully awake.

"The good news is that he's finally conscious. The bad news is…"

"Oh my GOD!" Emma began to cry and got out the rest of her words as best as she could. "We will be there right away."

Emma hung up the phone and ran into Damon's room. She didn't bother knocking.

Still crying, "Damon, Damon wake up," she pleaded as she shook her brother.

"Em? Emma, what is it?"

"The doctor's found a tumor in Jeremy's brain. They are trying to track down this so called really great brain surgeon but at the moment he is M.I.A. Please, please can we go to the hospital?"

"Of course baby, of course. Go and get dressed. I'll wake up Stefan and then we'll both meet you downstairs in twenty minutes."

With vampire speed both Emma and Damon got ready. Damon woke Stefan and once he told him what was happening, Stefan too got ready within vampire speed. He knew Elena would need him right now the most.

VVV

Damon, Emma and Stefan made their way to Jeremy's room. His family and family friend, Pierre were all by his bed side. Jeremy's spirits immediately lifted the moment he saw Emma walk in. She ran to his side and gave him as big of a hug as she could around all of the tubes sticking in arm.

"Emma, I am so sorry, will you ever forgive me?" Jeremy asked.

"Of course I forgive you. It wasn't your fault."

"Does this mean you're my girlfriend again?"

Emma giggled, "yes, definitely yes."

She gave Jeremy a kiss then it hit her that asking about whether or not she was his girlfriend shouldn't be the thing he was worried about the most. She turned to Alaric and mouthed to him, "does he know?" Alaric shook his head yes. Emma turned her attention back to Jeremy.

"Baby, whether or not I was still your girlfriend wasn't your biggest concern was it? I mean considering other things going on right now."

"Yes it was. As far as I'm concerned I can't do this without you. I just can't," he paused, "Em, I love you."

It was the first time Jeremy had told Emma that he loved her.

"Really? Wow, I…I really do love you too. It's why last night…."

Emma stopped when she remembered that she wasn't alone with Jeremy. He noticed how she stopped then realized she felt uncomfortable talking about what happened with everyone in the room. Jeremy looked at his parents."

"Umm, would it be okay if I talked to Emma alone for like twenty minutes? Please."

"Sure son," answered Alaric before giving his son a kiss on his forehead.

Jenna followed with another kiss and everyone else gave him a smile letting him know they wouldn't be far. Pierre took it as a good time to say good-bye for the time being.

"I need to get back on the road. I'll be checking in with you and your parents often okay," said Pierre.

"Okay, and I'm sorry for.."

"Shh shh, there is nothing to be sorry for. Stay positive and I'll check in with you very soon. You're like my nephew. I love you."

"I love you too," Jeremy replied with his famous sideways smile.

VVV

"Now that we're alone, what were you going to say about last night?" asked Jeremy.

"I was going to say that last night killed me inside because I too love you so much. I didn't want to even say the words that I was breaking up with you but you hit me and…"

Emma's tears started again. Jeremy couldn't stand to see her sad. He wiped away her tears with his thumb and held her delicate face cupped in his hand.

"It kills me that I hit you. I would never ever consciously hurt you."

"I know that now. We'll get through this."

Emma was quiet; she was looking at Jeremy then grew a big smile on her face.

"What are you smiling about?" asked Jeremy with a small chuckle.

"I was just thinking about our first kiss at summer camp. Did I ever tell you that I think you're a really great kisser?"

"Umm, no, I think I would remember that," answered Jeremy.

"Oh, okay, well, I think you are," said Emma before she moved forward and kissed Jeremy softly on his lips.

He didn't hesitate to kiss her back. She then backed away and gave him a big smile then adjusted herself so she could rest on his chest and just be held in his arms for as long as possible.

VVV

"Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert, I'm afraid I don't have the best news," said Dr. Green, "I finally tracked down Dr. Cannon. It turns out that he was in a water ski accident and broke his hand and injured a few ribs. He won't be able to perform surgery on anyone for awhile."

"Oh my God, what can we do? My baby…." Jenna began to cry.

Damon, Elena and Stefan were standing next to Alaric and Jenna when the doctor gave the bad news. Damon thought for a minute and then remembered an old friend of his who was also a really great surgeon.

"Ric, Jenna, I have an old friend who is known by many as one of the best brain surgeons around," said Damon.

"If you say he is one of the best, we trust your word. Can you give him a call?" asked Alaric with hopeful eyes.

"Defintely."

Damon went around the corner for some privacy, pulled out his cell phone and found the name under the letter C.

"Hello," a man answered.

"Hey, Carlisle, it's Damon Salvatore. I really need your help…."