"Who are you?" I asked cautiously, "And where the hell am I?"

She gave a short laugh, "You're in bed in your trailer, but your soul is in Avalon. This is the Druid's grove, North Taylor."

I felt a shiver run through me. "Okay, that tells me where I am, but not who you are?"

She held her hands out, palms up, "I will answer you the same as I answered your brother. A maiden, a mother, a crone."

"What the hell kind of answer is that lady?" I grumbled.

"The only answer you need," she said flatly. "I did not bring you here to discuss me, you are here to complete your trial." Trial, what trial? "You must speak to the trees. True they have already claimed you, but you need to understand why before you can truly help her."

"Nimue," I said simply.

The woman nodded, "Yes, she will need you soon. You must be prepared and not hide from what you already know, but are afraid to accept. Now go and find your answers so you can become the protector you are meant to be, North." With those words, she vanished.

"Talk to trees she says, trial she says," I grumbled to myself as I walked deeper into the grove. The mist was so thick I could barely see the ground in front of me. I stumbled several times and soon became disoriented. I tilted my head towards the sky, unable to see the sun or stars. "What do you want from me?" I yelled. "Why are you doing this to me, why her," I started to sob as I dropped to my knees. "Wasn't it enough that I lost Sang, but now you put Nimue in my life only to taunt me with what I can't ever have?"

"Why can't you have her?" a small voice asked. I looked around but couldn't see anyone. "Does she hate you, did she reject you?" the voice asked.

"What? No, she's my brother's wife." I said, not knowing who I was even addressing.

"But doesn't she also have a second husband?"

"Who are you? Where are you? I'm not answering anything else until you show yourself," I demanded. I heard a rustling of leaves and a small person-looking creature stepped out from a tree. Their skin looked like bark, and their hair almost like leaves. "What are you?" I gasped.

The little creature giggled, "I'm a tree nymph." It stood just a few feet tall, and it seemed friendly.

"Nice to meet you, I guess," I said cautiously. This entire world made no sense to me and I wasn't sure who the good guys and bad guys were.

"I mean you no harm, Druid. I know of your love. She is our protector and I would never dare to harm one she cares for," the creature said as if reading my mind.

"I'm not a Druid," I said, "well, I don't think I am."

It giggled again and pointed to my chest, "Well, that mark says you are claimed by the grove, so that makes you a Druid or at least one in training. How do you bear a mark you do not understand?" It tilted its head in confusion.

"Well, I'm not sure either. Do you have a name, tree nymph?" I asked.

"Cedrela," she giggled. "So have the trees talked to you yet?"

I shook my head, "Only a lady in a veil and you, Cedrela."

She looked sad for a moment, then perked up, "You should find an Elder tree and touch it. Making a physical connection might help. Oh, and you're wrong about the Lady."

"The one in the veil?"

Cedrela giggled again, "No silly, the Lady of the Lake. The grove would not choose you randomly. You must be fated in her life in some way, and it surely isn't as a brother-in-law. That isn't claim-worthy."

I grinned, "I guess I'll have to wait and see then. Thanks for your advice, Cedrela. I guess I need to find an Elder now." I stood as she waved goodbye, and then I began to walk.

When I finally reached a cluster of Rowan and Elder trees, I reached out to touch the bark slowly. When my palm made contact, it was as if I'd been suctioned to the tree. I couldn't let go as my mind was flooded with images. I saw a tall man with stringy hair grab Nimue. She was heavily pregnant and tried to get away, but he held her tight. He placed something over her mouth and she fell limp in his arms. I wanted to scream, I wanted to save her, but I could only watch the events unfold. The last thing I saw as the darkness started to swallow me was a cabin with a heavy door painted with a strange symbol on it near a lake.

****

I shot up in my bed, her name on my lips. The air shimmered and there she stood in front of my bed, eyes wide. "H...how did I get in here?" she stammered.

I looked around in confusion, "Am I awake?"

She put her hand on her hip and snapped, "Yes North, you're awake. Now how the hell did you bring me here?"

Me? I did this? I shook my head, "I have no idea what you are talking about. One minute I'm in a damn grove of trees talking to some lady, then a tree nymph. Next thing I know I touch a tree, have a crazy vision and then wake up here and you poofed into my trailer."

Snow! Where the fuck are you? I heard Gabe's voice in my head and choked.

"What the fuck! Why am I hearing Gabe in my head?" I demanded.

Her eyes went wide and she laughed, "Oh this is going to be interesting." Um, Gabe honey, I'm in North's trailer and he can hear you now, she told him and I heard it too.

Well fuck me, that happened faster than I thought.

Wait, what happened, she asked

Well, you and him, he replied

Gabriel Coleman if you are implying what I think you are implying I'll break every damn bone in your body, I growled back. I haven't touched her.

Can we all talk about this after breakfast, Luke added. I haven't had enough coffee for this topic yet.

Nimue rolled her eyes and shook her head, Whatever. I'll be in shortly.

North, did she just roll her eyes? Gabe asked

"Don't answer that," she said quietly.

I chuckled and wagged my finger at her, then answered Gabe and Luke, See you at breakfast guys. 

Author's Notes:  Hmmm...

Vote, comment, and follow!