CHAPTER TWO: DEDUCTIONS

An elderly lady opened the door, apparently the landlady. She looked very nice.

-Oh, she's the new girl? - Mycroft nodded his head. - Welcome! I was looking forward to meeting you. - He gave me a warm hug, at last someone in London who wasn't cold-hearted.

I gladly returned the hug, and after introducing myself, we went upstairs to see my room. I began to hear shouting.

-But how can you bring someone into my flat! It's my flat, I don't want someone ordinary in it!

-Sherlock! It's not your flat! - said another voice. -Come on, stop being stubborn! -

When I went upstairs, I could see a small sitting room with two people in it. One of them was a short blond man I didn't know. Then there was Sherlock curled up in a ball on the sofa, looking like a little boy (although he had grown up a lot since I saw him).

-She's your new partner. Her name is Olivia. - Mrs. Hudson related happily.

-Hi, my name is John Watson. It's a pleasure to meet you. - I shook his hand with a smile, he was nice.

-The pleasure is mine. Olivia Prince. - I said with a smile. I changed my name so as not to arouse suspicion. I looked at Sherlock, curled up in a ball on the sofa. - And you, childish as ever, did you miss me?

Sherlock recognised me and looked at me. He hadn't expected that. John didn't understand anything.

His eyes looked me up and down, as if he was analysing me. I'd heard of Sherlock's reputation, his powers of deduction and how tiresome and unbearable he could be. He couldn't handle me, I'm telling you.

-Are you going to live here? - He said to me seriously.

-Wow! You're as good as they say! Isn't it obvious? You're going to have to put up with me. - There was silence, and Sherlock began to speak.

-Young woman, about 25 years old, American, with eating problems and a lot of trauma from your childhood, your father never paid much attention to you. You have two dogs and come from a very wealthy family, you probably came here alone, I might even hazard a guess that you ran away. You've had a couple of boyfriends, one of them was an alcoholic and....

-Sherlock! - said Mycroft, John and Mrs. Hudson in chorus.

-Don't worry, it's my turn. - It was my time. - Adult male, approximately 27 years old. Arrogant, self-centred, you love to be recognised for your intelligence because it's the only thing that makes you feel safe. You have probably been alone all your life and you feel insecure and sometimes sad, even though you say you have no feelings. The reality is that you are afraid to show them because you never knew how to interpret them and you think they make you weak. You never had any friends, except.... A dog? Barbarossa, nice name. Besides, you're a drug addict and even though you play hard to get, you adore your brother and you often miss your parents. Shall I go on?

I'd gone too far. Sherlock was red as a tomato, he didn't know whether from embarrassment or anger. Mycroft was gaping, John was in the corner in silence, and Mrs. Hudson was in the kitchen.

-I'm sorry if I've gone too far, but with me you're going to have to learn that letting go of people's lives just like that hurts, Sherlock. - I paused and walked over to him, patting him on the shoulder. - Mrs. Hudson, could you show me to my room?

-Of course, dear. - I started to follow her.

-No! This is my flat! - I was pissed off.

-Are you scared Sherly? Do you see competition? - I said with a smile before going upstairs.

-I like her a lot. - John whispered.

-How the hell did he know all that? Answer me, Mycroft! - Sherlock was hysterical and Mycroft didn't know what to say.

-I'm like you. -I said, coming down the stairs with Mrs. Hudson behind me. - I read your mind. Deep down I know you missed me, didn't you Sherly? - I spoke again, tapping him on the shoulder. I was furious, and it was funny. Apparently the others also thought it was funny that I had been able to leave Sherlock in his place. - I have to go to Scotland Yard to talk to Lestrade.

-Don't tell me you're going to join that bunch of idiots. - said Sherlock. - I thought you valued yourself more.

I said goodbye to the others and walked out, ignoring Sherlock completely.

Deep down I had always adored him. Ever since I was little I wanted to be with him, I just wanted to play pirates and be his friend, but he always ignored me. Maybe life put us together for a reason, right?

I left the flat and called a taxi to Scotland Yard. I was nervous, I didn't know what the job there was going to be like and I didn't even know where I was supposed to go.

When I got out of the taxi, I walked into the building. It was quite big, full of offices and people moving around. I felt quite vulnerable and lost, I didn't know where to go. Suddenly, a voice spoke behind me.

-Hello, do you need anything? - I turned around, and a tall woman with dark curly hair was looking at me.

-Yes, I was coming to talk to Inspector Lestrade, for the detective position.

-Are you the new one? - I nodded. - Good, follow me.

We walked through the offices until we came to a large office. Inside, a grey-haired man sat waiting at his table.

-Lestrade, you have a visitor. - said the woman.

-Thank you. - I thanked the girl with a smile, and she smiled back.

I entered the office and the man invited me to sit down.

-Good morning, I'm Inspector Greg Lestrade, a pleasure. - I smiled and shook his hand. - You're here for the job, aren't you? - I nodded. - I've heard very good things about you, you have good physical ability, I know you have experience in government and you seem to have good deduction skills. You remind me of someone...

-Sherlock? Nah, I'm more likeable. - I said with a laugh.

-Do you know him? - he asked in amazement.

-I live with him, I just moved in. - He was flabbergasted.

-Well, good luck, he's a difficult person. Tomorrow we start, here at 9:00?

-Perfect, thank you very much Inspector. - I said politely.

-Call me Greg. I expect a lot from you, I like you. - I liked this man.

...