Chapter 14 - In Depth

Start from the beginning

On her chest of drawers there were photographs of a young Clarissa with her mother and a white man, all of them smiling. There were even more pictures on the memo board in the far right corner hanging above her bed, although these pictures were of Clarissa growing up with Akira, Yuki, Ai and Yume. She had a calendar on a stand on her bedside lamp, which was also home to an alarm clock and a purple dragon ornament. She had decorated the sides of her wardrobe with black wallpaper with red lines which resembled roses.

"I like your bedroom," I told her, not exactly sure where to look first. "It's much cooler than mine!"

Clarissa laughed. "Thank you. I originally wanted the walls a dark blue, but my mother said no. We argued for weeks, before I went to visit my grandmother one weekend and came back to the walls this colour!"

I laughed. "Your mother painted your room whilst you were away? Genius!"

Clarissa tutted, grinning like a Cheshire cat. "If I had the time and money, I'd totally change this room up. There's still mega room for improvement. Here, sit down."

I knelt next to her low table which she had already set up with a tray holding a teapot, milk jug, sugar pot and two cups and saucers. The crockery was white and lined with gold around the handles, bases and rims. There was also a plate of chocolate muffins, which Clarissa offered me.

"Thanks you," I said, picking the one closest to me and taking a delicate bite. My taste buds danced joyfully. It was much better than the dessert at the shopping centre. "Hmm, delicious!"

Clarissa beamed. "After Akira-kun mentioned that he enjoyed my baking, I thought I'd have another go at baking muffins. I used to bake them a lot."

"I understand why Akira likes them so much," I told her, taking another bite.

Clarissa chuckled, before pointing to the teapot. "I know how much you love drinking tea, so I made a pot especially for you. Do you want a cup?"

"Yes please," I nodded, "but you didn't have to go to all this trouble."

"It wasn't any trouble," Clarissa promised me, pouring the hot liquid carefully into both of the teacups and placing one in front of me. "You're my guest."

"I like your tea set," I complimented.

"It belonged to my grandmother, my dad's mother," Clarissa told me. "It was given to my mother way before I was born. I personally think the colours are too bright, but I'm glad you like it!"

"You have a lot of makeup there too," I saw the stand of lipsticks and blushes.

"I love lipstick," Clarissa told me. "Tsuki-san, would you let me do your makeup for you one time soon?"

I placed my hand on my heart, pretending to be offended. "Am I not pretty enough for you, Clarissa-san? Are you embarrassed to be with me?"

"Oh, no! I didn't mean of like that!" Clarissa panicked. "I just - "

I giggled. "Clarissa-san, I'm joking!"

"And I didn't know you played bass," I nodded to the instrument by her wardrobe. Huge, red, covered in stickers. It didn't look neat and tidy like Clarissa usually was.

"I try," Clarissa laughed. "I wanted to learn guitar, like my dad, but since I was a beginner with little-to-no experience, my dad suggested I try the bass first. I'm not as good as most players, but I make sure to practise as often as possible."

"Is your father at work?" I asked. Since she had mentioned him a lot, I thought it was safe to assume that he and her mother still loved together.

"In a way," Clarissa responded, tilting her head. "You won't be able to meet him today, if that's what you were hoping. Here."

Clarissa stood up and went over to her desk. She picked up one of the photos of her, her mother and the white man, and brought it over to me.

"You father's a white man?" I asked before thinking, my eyes wide.

Clarissa placed the picture on the table and knelt back down opposite me. "Yes. I'm biracial, didn't I ever tell you?"

I shook my head, my mouth full of muffin. I probably could have noticed and realised it, I just didn't think.

"Ah, well I am!" Clarissa smiled. "I'm not ashamed of it. I love both of my parents, and I wouldn't change who I am for the world. My dad is American. He works over there, so he doesn't live here with us. But he flies back to see us every Christmas and summer break," Clarissa smiled happily. "He always writes to me and send me presents, but I just count down the days until I get to see him again."

"So are you bilingual too?" I asked her. I had never met anyone biracial before, and my curiosity was getting the better of my consideration.

Clarissa thought for a moment. "Well, I'm not perfect and anywhere NEAR fluent, but I've been learning English from a young age," Clarissa nodded. "My Dad says once I turn twenty-one I can go to America with him and experience life over there. And I'm so excited! If I could, I'd travel the whole world!"

I grinned, feeling pleased for Clarissa. Seeing her so happy made me feel warm inside.

"My aunt likes to travel," I said. "Although she just tours around Japan. Nobody in my family have ever been abroad before. But my father had a love for western culture."

"Yeah, I remember when I visited your house," Clarissa nodded. "It was styled like a western house, right? Did you ever manage to fill that bookcase in your sitting room?"

I laughed. "Yes, actually, we did!"

Clarissa smiled sadly. "I'm sorry that I never got to meet your father properly. He sounds like a lovely man."

"He was," I replied. "He was the best man I ever knew. He really helped me." I looked up at Clarissa. "I suppose now would be a good time to tell you about my past, right?"

Clarissa shifted so she was sat crossed legged. "Tsuki-san, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

I copied Clarissa so I was sat cross legged too. "But I do, Clarissa-san. I WANT to tell you. I'm just not entirely sure where to begin..."

I reached out to grab my teacup, but I could see and feel my fingers trembling. I clasped them together and thrust them underneath the table.

"Just take your time," Clarissa advised, "take your time, and start from the beginning. I'm here to listen and support you, no matter what."