Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

He bent forward and caught her lips in a soft kiss, releasing her wrists to gather her in his arms once more. She melted into him as he rolled again, this time to bring her atop him. She fit so perfectly against him, felt so wonderful against him. It was one of his favorite feelings in the world, her soft body against his, her skin bare and warm against him.

When he broke the kiss, she sighed, tucking her head into the curve of his shoulder. "I wish we could stay here forever," she whispered. "I don't want to go home tomorrow. It's been such a wonderful week."

That it had and he was in no hurry to go home, either. He enjoyed playing with the children on the beach, and because of their Jötunn heritage, the ocean wasn't too cold for the three of them to enjoy, while McKenna stayed on the beach with the twins.

He skimmed his hand along her left arm while his left hand moved gently against her hair. "I know. It's unfortunate real life has to intrude. Perhaps we should think about buying a home here as well. I would like to have a house down on the beach, like this one."

"Do you know how much these houses cost?" she asked, lifting her head to gaze down at him. He arched one brow at her and she smiled. "Oh, right..."

"Would you like a beach house, love?" He smoothed her hair back over her ear and kissed the top of her head.

"Here or LBI or further south?"

"Wherever you wish, darling girl. Say the word and it's yours."

"You spoil me."

"I love you."

Her eyes softened and she whispered, "I know you do. You don't have to prove it to me."

"I know I don't. But I happen to like spoiling you, Midgardian," he caught her by the chin, tilting her face to meet his gaze, "and you never ask for anything, so..."

"I don't have to ask, Loki. I've told you, I have everything I could ever possibly want. I don't need anything else."

"McKenna, everyone covets something at least once in their life." He sighed softly. "And anything you want, you need only tell me and it's yours."

"I know. And that's why I can honestly say I have everything I could ever want." She lifted her head to prop her chin on his chest. "You don't have to buy me anything or make me anything because I realized how much I had when I thought I'd lost you forever."

"McKenna..." His voice cracked slightly and his silver tongue turned to lead once more. She asked for nothing because she thought his love was enough and he had no way to explain to her that such a thing was a drop in the bucket compared to what she deserved. She was a princess, and yet she didn't want to be treated like one. He had the ability to literally give her anything her heart desired, and all she ever said she wanted was him. How in the universe could that be enough for her? How could it ever be enough, when he'd put her through trial after trial, when he'd done his best to destroy her, no matter how inadvertently?

"Loki, I love you. I love that you gave me four beautiful babies and I love the life we've built. And I wish you would stop feeling that you owe me everything in all the nine realms because you don't. You don't at all.

"All I want is for us to be together, to raise those four babies-and maybe have another one someday-and just be happy with what we have, because we have a lot and it's so amazingly wonderful, how could I ever want anything more?"

"Do you honestly want a fifth child?" he asked, winking.

"Maybe. I don't know. But if anything, that's all I'd want. I'm happy. Aren't you?"