Chapter 42 | Frankland

Start from the beginning

Sherlock stares at him in appalled horror, "No!"

Behind him the hound growls ominously again. Easton notices sherlock going a little crazy, "SHERLOCK!" He yells.

Jim's expression becomes intense and murderous but then his head begins to distort and flail about, morphing between Jim's face and someone else's so quickly that it's impossible to keep up with the changes. Sherlock grimaces, groaning at the insanity going on in front of him while Jim's face keeps reasserting itself.

"It's not you! You're not here!"

Grabbing at the figure, he spins him around and then headbutts him in the face. The figure crumples slightly and raises his hand to his face as he straightens up... and now the man in front of Sherlock is Bob Frankland.

Sherlock clings onto his jacket, his breathing panicked and frantic... but then he turns his head to one side and looks at the mist surrounding them. Frankland still has his hand clamped over his mouth and nose, and suddenly it all begins to make sense to Sherlock.

"The fog." He says..

John was still aiming his torch up at the hound, "What?" He said, Easton looked around him, now noticing the fog around them.

"It's the fog! The drug: it's in the fog! Aerosol dispersal-- that's what it said in those records. Project HOUND-- it's the fog! A chemical minefield!" Sherlock says.

Greg instantly throws his arm across his face, trying to stop himself from breathing too much of the mist. The hound stalks closer to the group, snarling.

"For God's sake, kill it! Kill it!" Frankland yells.

((A/N I hated watching this scene in the show because I'm a animal lover, but I'm still going to keep it in this story, because it's part of the the show :/))

The hound's movements become more jittery as if it's winding itself up to attack. Greg aims his pistol and fires three times at it. His bullets fly past it and it flinches momentarily but then rises up and leaps towards them.

John's aim is truer and his bullets strike the hound accurately and throw it backwards. It squeals in pain and crashes to the ground, unmoving. John and Greg watch it anxiously for any signs of movement, and Sherlock runs over to Henry and Easton. He pushes Easton away from Henry and grabs Henry's arm, then pushes him towards the hound.

"Look at it, Henry." Sherlock says.

"No, no, no!" Henry shouts.

"Come on, look at it!" Sherlock says.

"Sherlock stop!" Easton yells.

Sherlock bullies the young man forward until they can both clearly see it lying on the ground. In Sherlock's torchlight it is evidently nothing more than a huge dog.

Henry stares at it for a moment and then turns back to where Frankland is still holding his injured face while Greg has his hands over his mouth as he tries to draw breath and come to terms with what he just experienced. Henry looks at Frankland.

"It's just.... You bastard." He says.. Hurling himself at the older man, he screams with rage, "You bastard!"

Bundling him to the ground, he screams into his face while John and Greg run over and try to pull him off.

"Twenty years! Twenty years of my life making no sense! Why didn't you just kill me?!"

Finally the others manage to pull him up.

Sherlock then says, "Because dead men get listened to. He needed to do more than kill you. He had to discredit every word you ever said about your father, and he had the means right at his feet, a chemical minefield; pressure pads in the ground dosing you up every time that you came back here."