"Thank you." Mountainstar was more than willing to share prey with Nettleheart, taking a bite of the prey. She didn't realize until her mouth started watering at the taste that she hadn't eaten all day.

"How are you feeling?" Nettleheart questioned after taking her own bite. "You still seem very distant from the Clan."

Mountainstar swallowed her bite of prey and let out a sigh. "I'm trying my best to feel better about the whole situation, but I can't help but feel like I failed him. Like I should've been a better leader."

"Mountainstar you--"

"I know what you're going to say." Mountainstar quieted her deputy. "And I do appreciate it. I suppose I feel better than I did when he left, but I still don't feel right. While I was out hunting alone I told myself that I need to be better for the warriors that did stay, and I just hope I can do just that."

"Of course you can." Nettleheart spoke up. Mountainstar met her intense amber gaze. "StarClan chose you to be leader after all."

Mountainstar let out a slight chuckle. "I don't often hear you mention StarClan."

"Well I still don't really know how to feel." Nettleheart admitted. "But you believe in them, and I believe in you."

For some reason, Nettleheart's words made her heart skip a beat. "I never thought StarClan could be real, I was surprised when I found out they were, and while I know that StarClan is here to guide us, I would be lost without your guidance."

Mountainstar noticed a playful and slightly bashful glint in Nettleheart's eyes. "Please, I'm just some former rouge."

"You're a lot more than that to me." Mountainstar rose to her paws and took a step closer to Nettleheart who matched her in standing up. "I wouldn't be able to do this without you, Nettleheart, any of it. There is a reason I made you my deputy."

"I am honored to serve as your deputy, Mountainstar." Nettleheart took a step closer, her muzzle nearly touching Mountainstar's. Her heart began pounding in her chest as she looked deep into the beautiful amber pools of Nettleheart's eyes. "But there is a part of me that would like to be more than just your deputy."

In her entire life, Mountainstar had never felt this kind of feeling before. She had heard stories of it before, she heard it in the way that her father talked about her mother. She never had a chance to feel it, she had found Sparrowpaw, Wrenpaw and Finchpaw had such a young age, she never even considered taking a mate or falling in love. Until now.

Mountainstar opened her mouth to respond, she knew what Nettleheart wanted and she wanted it too. "Nettleheart I--"

"Mountainstar." A new voice spoke, shattering the soft moment between Nettleheart and Mountainstar. She looked past Nettleheart to see Troutstream standing in the den entrance. "Antwhisker and a few other warriors say they need to talk to you."

Mountainstar looked at Nettleheart who looked as confused as Mountainstar felt. "I'll be right there." She told Troutstream and the brown warrior quickly vanished from view. She looked at Nettleheart who had stepped back. "We'll continue this conversation after, okay?"

"I'll hold you to it." Nettleheart purred, brushing her tail under Mountainstar's chin. "Now let's go see what they need."

Mountainstar and Nettleheart walked side by side out of her den and down into the camp. She saw that snow had stopped and MountainClan was more active. Her eyes traveled to a particular cluster of warriors where she saw Antwhisker. He was standing with Yewtail and Gingersky, she also noticed that Mothflower was with them as well. The skittish medicine cat almost never left her den so it was shocking to see her with her Clanmates.