Chapter 3

The minute I had entered through the garden door, I could tell something was off. The castle, though it was quieter than the city, was nonetheless quite loud. Usually. What unnerved me was the silence that met me the minute I passed through the wall. Ignoring all of mothers past comments about how royalty never ran anywhere (we walked briskly) I set off, running towards Aurora's bed chamber.

I passed by the maid I had scared earlier that day. She was sleeping peacefully in the corner, smiling gently. I continued to run. As I passed by my chamber, I saw my nursemaid, Lizabeth, was snoring softly on the floor. My pace quickened.

As I climbed the stairs to reach Aurora's chamber, I saw more and more people asleep. Something was horribly wrong, and I had to get my sister to safety.

When I reached her door I stopped and stared. She was lying on the floor, a crumpled heap. I couldn't see if she was alive or dead.

I rushed towards her and breathed a small sigh of relief. Alive. But asleep.

Just like everyone else in the castle.

I fell to the floor next to my sister, blinking back tears that threatened to spill. What do I do?

I stroked my sisters blonde hair out of her face and let out a choked sob. I needed help, but there was no one to turn to.

I alone was awake.