Chapter 10

Much to my satisfaction, I awoke first the next morning. I stood up and stretched, dusting off my pants.

I glanced at Phillip. It was nearing the beginning of fall, and the mornings were getting colder. Drenching him would be cruel.

I sighed. There will always be another day...

Four days left. We only had four days to get back to Ambrose. I should have left someone guarding the castle.

As it was, we were an easy target for invaders. And I knew the people would begin to be curious about the seemingly empty castle.

I picked up a stick. "Phillip," I said, poking his cheek. "Wake up. Now. We have to get to Ambrose!"

He groaned and rolled over, "I'm up, I'm up!" he yawned.

"Good. You have five minutes to ready yourself- we have to get to a town for breakfast."

He mumbled his assent and pulled himself up, still yawning.

Once we were both ready, we set off again.

Though the ride into town was short, we were both famished by the time we arrived.

I spotted a number of shops, only one of which would be able to supply us with breakfast.

"Baker again?" I asked Phillip.

He nodded, getting off of his horse. "Good Sir, is there anything you have finished baking yet?"

The baker in this town was nothing like the baker we had last encountered. He was tall, brawny, and glaring.

"This early in the morning? It's a miracle I'm up!" he spat.

Phillip took a step back. He looked back at me, eyes wide.

"Um, sir, we just want to have breakfast before we get on our way," I say, stepping in.

"Well, Miss, I just want to-"

"Samuel!" a woman called out. "Tell me you aren't scaring away more costumers!"

I watched with satisfaction as the mans eyes widened. "No, ma'am..."

"Good!" a blonde woman walked out of the bakery. "You've scared away enough already!"

She turned to look at me and Phillip, "What can I do for you dears?" she asked, her green eyes sparkling with mischief.

Phillip obviously still hadn't regained his confidence after being yelled at by the man, so I spoke up, "We were just hoping to buy some bread before returning to our journey."

"And I just wanted to lodge my boot up your-" Samuel muttered. the woman turned to him and glared.

"Inside!" she said.

He scowled for a moment before entering the bakery, his tail dragging behind him.

The woman turned back to us, "How do cheese rolls sound?"

Phillip jumped back to life, "Cheese rolls?"

The woman laughed, "Yes child, cheese rolls. And to make up for Samuel's temper, I'll give you a discount."

"There is no need for that!" I said, guiltily.

"Nonsense! One silver piece for each! You just tell the folks you encounter to come to Catarina's bakery, alright?"

I beamed, "Yes of course!"

Phillip nodded vehemently. He caught my eye and smiled. Catarina was certainly a character, but the more time I spent with her, the more I liked her. I could tell Phillip felt the same way.