Ch. 9 - Blessing

In comparison to the diplobrats' estate, the Manthornes' three bedroom townhouse looked like a studio apartment. Despite its modesty, Sephy was overcome with a desire to move right in. The hunter green living room was outfitted with a burgundy leather sofa, blankets strewn welcomingly across its arms. Natural light bathed the series of cubbies against the wall, which were filled with scrapbooks and knickknacks from all over the world. The ladder which leaned against the top shelf gave the room the ambience of a cozy university library.

Sephy migrated to the compact, concrete patio and plot of dirt that was the backyard.

"Do you grow anything back here?"

"Our mom used to when we were kids. She used to put slices of tomatoes in our sandwiches. They were so red and sweet, but once she had to go back to work, the garden suffered. The plants died, and now it's barren dirt. Neither Alli nor I have a green thumb."

Sephy followed his gaze to a withering ficus by a window in the living room.

"I see what you mean."

With a touch of her fingertip, she sprung new life into the leaves. The plant stood tall and turned from a pale yellow to a vibrant green before Rob's eyes. The brown edges ironed themselves out and curled towards the sun.

Rob scratched the back of his head.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it, literally. Your sister's coming downstairs."

Rob and Sephy were baking carrot cupcakes from scratch for Allison's pet project, saving a historic theater in Hollywood. Three people working in the kitchen was a tight fit, but they divvied up the preparation of ingredients efficiently. Allison whipped the batter to a light consistency, while Sephy passed carrots through the mandolin like a seasoned sous chef. Rob wondered if that was a natural talent, or if it came from an apprenticeship under Julia Child.

"Thanks for having Rob over for dinner the other night. I hope he minded his manners," Allison joked.

"Yes, Mom," laughed Rob. "Elbows off the table, sat up straight and used my utensils in order, from the inside out."

"That's my boy. Can you grab the mixer? It's in the garage."

"At your service."

When Rob was out of earshot, Allison put down her measuring cup and stepped meaningfully toward the mandolin.

"Sephy," she whispered, "I have to ask you, are you going to hurt my brother again?"

Sephy was taken aback by the blunt courage of Rob's little sister.

"I always felt bad about that day. Believe me when I tell you, I said those things to protect him from getting hurt. I didn't want him to think I was looking for something I'm not."

"I do believe you, and I think you're wonderful. I've never seen him like this. He's probably told you he only wants to be friends, but what he wants and what he can tolerate are different things. It will be his challenge to balance the two. If he wants to tolerate being your friend when he wants to be something more, that's his choice. All I know is that since he met you, he's come to life. I feel like I'm just getting to know my brother. I'm thankful you're here, but please do your best not to hurt him again."

Rob dusted off the mixer and closed the garage door behind him.

"Ready to make some cupcakes?"

Sephy quickly nodded at Allison, who was still staring earnestly at her.

With the cupcakes cooling on a rack and the cinnamon cream cheese frosting ready to top them, Rob took Sephy on a tour of the house. It was much less ceremonious than the one of her mansion's backyard.