"I'm guessing you don't know anything about the power plant bombing?" Legoshi asked.

"Not a thing," the hybrid said. "And I'm being serious. I left that group of ideological zealots after our last little skirmish. Before the massacres."

"How convenient," Legoshi said.

"Listen, I had no idea what he was planning," Melon snapped. "He doesn't tell anyone a goddamn thing he plans until the moment before we execute it. I had no idea what he was going to do, and if I did, I would have done my best to stop him. Believe me, I'm just as sickened by the massacre as you are. And this new lack of electricity is really bugging me. I can't reach any of my clients."

Melon noticed the wolf's confused look.

"Yes," the hybrid said. "As odd as it may sound, I actually do have more clients aside from your one friend."

Legoshi still felt uneasy. Melon didn't do anything unless it benefited him. He was planning something, but he had no idea what. There were no clues or anything.

"People change," Melon said, walking from the alley. He tossed the bottle of oil in the dumpster and rolled down his sleeves as he turned back into the Hidden Condo through a side door. Legoshi pushed the generator against the brick wall and wiped off his hands. Melon had changed, but at the same time he was exactly the same. He was still plotting something, but he was more reserved. Friendlier even, if Legoshi dared to use that word. It definitely wasn't his stay in prison. Or the cuts on his arm that Legoshi had seen when he rolled up his sleeve. It was something else entirely.

He continued inside, climbing the stairs. He felt odd not smelling Sagwan as he passed his floor. The seal had returned to his home in the ocean. As much as he would have loved to stay, the land was becoming far too dangerous for his liking. It had also been a while since he last saw his family, so he also wanted to do that. Cherryton was no longer becoming a warzone, it was a warzone. And everyone was on edge. Those that could were getting out while they could. Even the police were advising the public to escape before they quarantined the city and put it on lockdown. Haru wanted to be a part of those escaping, but she couldn't bring herself to leave. Perhaps it was the fact that her family was still here, but that was about to change.

"So you've left for Aunt Kesaiyo's?" Haru asked over the mobile phone as he stepped into the apartment. She was talking with her parents, or siblings, over the phone line, but the occasional break slipped into her voice. Legoshi silently closed the door and waited.

"Okay," she continued over the phone. "I'm not sure. I will. Yes, I'll be sure to call you as often as I can. I love you all. Tell everyone that. Okay. Bye."

She fumbled with the handset as she hung up. She barely acknowledged her husband as she turned and stepped out onto the small porch, keeping the sliding glass pane open. She had her arms crossed and brought one of her hands up to her face, rubbing her eyes.

Legoshi stepped out behind her and knelt down, wrapping his arms around her.

"My family's left the city," she said. "They've gone up to my aunt's place. We're welcome to follow them, but I don't know what you want to do."

"Don't worry about me," Legoshi said. "So long as you're okay, I'll put up with anything that comes our way."

Haru leaned a little into his arms. The hold, though gentler, was the exact same as when they had first 'met'. Unlike then it was warm in a comforting way, other than in a fearful, blood-pumping, adrenaline rush. She lost herself in the calm, protectiveness of Legoshi's body. He enveloped her like a blanket she didn't want to leave. Out on the porch, the sounds of small, back-up generators running buzzed in her ears like meditative white noise. She didn't resist as Legoshi picked her up and held her close, sitting on a chair with her still curled in his arms. She didn't like the fact that she felt like a child and straightened up a little, but refused to leave her space in his arms.