Healing

The next day, I traveled back to Western City with a backpack strapped to me. It was around ten in the morning with a brilliant blue sky dotted with tiny white clouds shaded with gray and silver. I discreetly avoided all the traffic and crowds, aiming for Latrice's apartment. The air was warm, but the breeze was cool; the sunshine was hot, but the shadows were cold. It was a perfect, brisk day. There was a sharp contrast between sunlight and shadow—colors were the exact same shade, but drastically different on the spectrum. Grass would be light green clashing with dark green, stone would be pale gray jarring with dark gray. I would have liked to have spent it with Reese...It was too bad I couldn't. The memory of Reese staring sadly after me when I said I'd be gone for the whole day was a physical touch to my heart. Well, I'd find a way to hang with him soon.

I stopped at Latrice's apartment and looked at it. On such a gorgeous day, I resolved to take Latrice away from this complex. In fact, I knew just the place to take her. I didn't like how things had gone yesterday, so I hoped today would be more successful.
I walked forward, looking for Latrice. I decided to jump on a building top to get a higher view and search for her there. I easily cleared the distance between ground and building top.

Then I saw Latrice.

She was standing on the apartment rooftop close to the edge—not close enough to be seen by people on the streets, though. She was gazing out, her eyes dark and sad. The wind blew her hair gently, as it was windier and cooler up here, even in the bright sunlight. I walked forward and stood beside her, gazing at the scenery.

The city was drab and gray. Normally, Western City was a decent city, but this was the poor side of it. Though the beautiful day had brought some life and color to the city—the windows were shining, the buildings looked friendlier, and there was a cool breeze wafting around, there were still signs of dreariness. The smell of metal and rotten garbage and flies and unpaved sidewalks, the uncleanliness of the road and cars starting and stopping agitatedly. Latrice deserved a better home.

"Chaser." Latrice turned to face me. "I didn't think you would come."

"I have not given up on you, even if you have given up on yourself," I responded.

Latrice said nothing, just continued staring at the scenery before her. "I'm feeling a lot better, though."

Uh oh. Has Usko been around you?

"I am sorry about yesterday," I said. "I pushed you too far and I apologize for that. It was not your fault."

"No, Chaser...I'm sorry." Latrice let out a sigh. She rubbed a hand across her forehead. "I should have helped. I'm not saying I want to be a hero, but I see things clearer now."

Hmm...I don't like how much clarity and calmness is in her gaze. Something happened between then and now to make her feel a lot more accepting. I've got a nasty feeling Usko has been messing with her...

I took the backpack off my shoulders and zipped it open. "Here, I brought you a little something.