Gemstones (Part 1)

"It is high time we took on some apprentices."

"The right ones have not come yet. We must be patient. Such matters require careful consideration. Besides, I am stronger and more knowledgeable than you."

"..."

"Though there is one I am interested in. She shows great potential."

"Just she? You mean there is only one? There is supposed to be two! One for you, one for me! Yes, we have zeroed in on the same person before to test them, but if you are considering this girl to be an apprentice while I get none..."

"Relax. How about a competition? See which one can win her over."

"...You are a fool."

"I am confident, and you are cautious; therefore, the label of fool is bound to make an appearance."

"This girl...which side does she stand for?"

"Nothing. She is only out for herself."

"Perfect. Sounds like my kind of gal. I change my mind. I think I am going to like this competition. Sounds easy enough."

"That is just like you. But I would not count your chickens before they have hatched."

"Keep your trap shut. Let the game begin. I will show her the true power of evil!"

"No. I will convince her being righteous and moral is the path for her. I must help her and do what I can to save her soul."

"So wise, so altruistic, so heroic. Are you truly that much different than me?"

"We are at the opposite ends of the spectrum."

"And this girl is the middle...I am intrigued how this will turn out."

"We shall see."

"Usko," Chaser greeted me politely, bowing his head.

"Chaser." I returned his bow. "Are you ready for tonight?"

Chaser's sigh was cut short when a few fox girls, complete with their distinctive ears and tails, walked by us, giving me a wide berth, and smiling at Chaser. Chaser smiled back at them and lifted his hand in acknowledgment.

I scowled.

But as soon as the fox girls went inside the building, Chaser turned to me and complained, "Do we have to? I don't wannna...it's boring..."

Complaining again?

I sighed, suppressing the urge the roll my eyes.

We were both standing in front of the Great Hall under a night sky. The structure stood tall and vast in front of us, resembling an ancient castle, except the material wasn't made only of stone—there were magic and solidified illusions making up this grand palace. Glass windows at the front shed yellowish light on Chaser and me as we stood there, poised to enter. Except Chaser was balking, nonchalantly lifting his hands behind his head so his elbows stuck out, and he'd lifted one foot to rest against his heel.

"We've done this a hundred times," Chaser went on with a yawn. "I just wanna stay home and play video games or sleep." He closed his eyes and made snoring sounds, as if pretending to fall asleep on the spot.