Out Late Being Mischievous

I gripped at the cheap fabric which covered the pair of arms that cradled me. I cried for what felt like hours, calling out for my mom who had been separated from me so suddenly.

The shock finally set in.

She was gone.

The thought of Adrian's firsts reminded me that we had gotten this far, through so much turmoil, because we got there together. Now we each had been isolated so abruptly. It made my heart ache to even think of trying to overcome conflict without her help, because I had never done so before.

I knew I'd been promised that she would be returned safely to me soon enough, but the promise was made by strangers -no matter how nice they were-in a new, unfamiliar world. The promise I was given seemed full of insatiably hungry holes.

Just outside of my bedroom window, darkness was slowly creeping its way across the countryside we lived on. It was probably around seven at night. For the first time, I looked up through teary eyes at my comforter; it was Lupin. I realized how much I'd been crying (I hate feeling helpless, especially in front of other people) and tried to get up away from him as my face turned red from embarrassment. His surprisingly muscular arms only clung to me tighter, and I couldn't help but feel safe. Someone here cared about me.

"I know it's hard to not see his own godson..." My voice sounded broken and hoarse,"But honestly, control yourself." I spoke to Lupin, but my words were intended for Black. "I know..." Remus comforted in warm tones, "He has got it really... ruff though." Remus tried a joke, and I felt laughter escape from my pouting lips. Everything seems a lot funnier when you're crying.

I wiped the tears from my eyes and gave Lupin a hug and said thank you. "Oh, don't thank me Nikki. We care a lot about you, Sirius and I." He explained softly, and I gave him a look. "Sirius was angry, and he said something he didn't mean. You know he's sorry." His solid blue eyes bore into my own, attempting to wring out any hint of understanding that I had. Yes, I did know he was sorry. That didn't mean he could just say whatever he wanted to though.

"Nikki, we need to stick together now. You know your mom would want us to." I looked up hopefully at the mention of my mother. "You'll see her soon, don't worry... Why don't you write a letter to her right now?"

My mood instantly lightened.

A letter to my mom? Of course! Why hadn't I thought of that?

For some reason I figured I wouldn't be allowed to communicate with her at all! Lupin found an old, smelly roll of parchment, a long white quill, and an old shiny ink well. I had never written with these devices before, and it excited me to start. "Thank you." I said again gratefully to Remus as he left the room to give me some privacy.

I skipped downstairs with my finished letter in hand, about an hour later.

I worked hard on it, and told my mom about all of the things I'd learned for school. There was a whole paragraph or two about about flying, which had been the most fun and exhilarating thing I'd ever done in my entire life! I expressed how I wanted to do it a lot more. Towards the middle of the message I asked her how her stay was, and asked what Tonks and Kingsley were like. I said I hoped she was having an alright time, even though I missed her a lot. Later in the letter I explained that we had to be strong. It was like I was going away to college, which would eventually happen, so we shouldn't look at the separation in such a bad light. I was a bit of a hypocrite in saying that because of my recent breakdown, but I just wanted my mom to be happy.