ch 4

An hour later, I sat on a bed covered in clothes. Angelica stood at the closet, throwing things out one after another. I pulled the soft towel tighter to me, secretly inhaling the wonderful scent that clung to it. It was a clean, sweet smell. 

My wet hair sat against my back, making me shiver. I wasn't used to being cold. Or warm, for that matter. Just being, not feeling so much. It was a bit overwhelming at times, but I couldn't help but enjoy it. 

Angelica had asked me to shower and wash my hair while I was cleaning up, as it was ratty and full of leaves and forest floor debris. I tried to wash my hair on my own, but I found it difficult holding my aching and heavy arms above my head for long enough. I had admitted this to her and she, without hesitation, offered to wash it for me. So, wrapped in my towel, she had helped me lean against the sink and slowly unknotted and cleaned my hair. I was surprisingly comfortable with her already, offering small talk whenever she made it. I could tell she was avoiding the elephant in the room, but I didn't mind. She was easy to talk to and I found myself calm around her, whether that was because she was the first woman I had been around in a lifetime or just because she had that effect on people. I suspected the latter. 

"So. What do you like more?" She asked, holding what looked like a long blue jumpsuit and a short white dress with long sleeves. 

"I like the white." 

She smiled. "Me too." 

She set the dress in my lap and sat behind me, starting a braid in my hair. I closed my eyes. I'd forgotten this, I realized. The feelings, the smells. I'd forgotten everything about life. I don't think it was purposeful, it was just easier that way. I wish I would've remembered. 

"I truly appreciate all of this. You have been too kind." 

"Hey." I heard the smile in her voice. "I never got a sister. This is fun. Ryley never let me dress him up." She laughed and I joined her, appreciating the feeling of it rumbling through my chest. 

As she continued with my hair, I felt her tense slightly. "So what happened?" She was very straightforward. I appreciated that about her, but I wasn't sure how to respond. I didn't remember having much of a talent for lying. 

"I don't know." I started. I didn't want to sound crazy or scare her, so I danced around the question while telling her the truth I was able. "I just know something is different."

Finished with the braid, she came around to slowly kneel in front of me, another motherly gesture. I suddenly pictured her as a nurse, though the image in my head I was sure was outdated. It was in line with what I already knew of her. 

"I know this is hard for you, but I need to know who you are. I don't even know where you came from, who you're running from, or how you know my brother." Her eyes were full of empathy but tightened slightly near the end. I felt a protective edge slip into her tone and was able to imagine the issue. I wondered musingly if she were born first. 

"I apologize, I have been quite rude." I hadn't meant to offend them, or scare her, with my silence. She looked confused, so I continued. 

"My name is Viola Taylor." I felt a little embarrassed I hadn't given either of them a proper introduction. "I'm not sure where I came from, and I really don't know your brother." Technically, this was true. "And I'm not sure I understand what you mean by running." 

She stood. 

"You didn't run away from home? From someone?"

I shook my head. "No. I don't remember anything before the road." I looked away, feeling like my slow blush would give away the lie. "Well, except for my name I guess." I added, smiling gently.