9 - Get Used To It

"Earth to Y/N," Sunghoon's voice broke her gaze before she darted her gaze from Jay and stared at him in confusion. "I've been calling your name for a while now."

"Sorry," She mumbled, tapping the empty chair beside her for him to take a seat. "Just lost in thought for a moment."

He laughed, giving her a knowing look before he settled down. "I can see where your thoughts were wandering. Jay looks better now that he took off those nerdy glasses and showed some skin, don't you think?"

Y/N's cheeks flushed a shade darker as she let out a mock sigh and shook her head in disbelief. "You're impossible." Sunghoon just shrugged, staring at the guys as they played in the water and laughed together. "Why aren't you joining them?"

"Jay asked me to keep you company," He tilted his head, leaning against his chair while Y/N frowned. "He didn't, I just wanted to sit down for a moment. Look at you, I can tell you like Jay."

"Don't you like him too? He's a nice person." She retaliated playfully, raising an eyebrow at Sunghoon.

"Oh, I never said I didn't like him. But I never kissed him and I never get lost in thought staring at him-" Before he knew it, Y/N hit him with the Harin's book that was laying on the table, cutting off his sentence with a soft thud. "Stop being nosy."

Sunghoon let out a surprised laugh, his hand instinctively reaching to shield himself from any more impending attacks. "Okay, I get it, I'll stop." He said, rubbing his arm where she had lightly smacked him with the book. "How's Seoul?"

"You've never gone to Seoul?" She chuckled, hoping he wouldn't ask about the life she escaped from, but it seemed he was genuinely curious.

"You know that's not what I mean. It sounds like there's a story there." He folded his arms over his chest and looked at the sky, a contemplative expression on his face. "Needing a fresh start means the last chapter of your life was really rough." 

Y/N's smile wavered for a moment, her gaze dropping to her hands that were now resting on her lap before she asked for his phone and showed him a picture of her and Sungho on her Instagram profile. Sunghoon frowned, confusion flickering across his face as he looked at the photo. Then the next thing she showed him made him freeze.

It was the news about Sungho's deadly accident and she looked away, her heart heavy. The silence that followed was thick, filled with unspoken emotions. Sunghoon's eyes were locked onto the screen of his phone, his expression transitioning from confusion to shock, and then to sorrow. "I... I had no idea. I'm sorry."

Y/N shook her head, her gaze still averted. "It's okay. I didn't come to Busan for a fresh start, I came here to end my life. I didn't want to do it in Seoul, scared that my family would always remember me as the one who died that way. So, I came here to escape everything and just... vanish quietly." A tear rolled down her cheek and she smiled a little. "I guess I had a change of heart."

Sunghoon nodded in understanding, his eyes filled with sadness. "I'm glad you're still here." When he smiled faintly, she felt a warmth in his presence. "And I'm sorry for joking about Jay."

"It's fine, don't worry." She shook her head and stretched her arms while staring at where the ocean and the sky met, creating a beautiful horizon. The waves crashed against the shore and she smiled at how beautiful life is. One moment she was standing across from the beach wanting to drown and end it all, the other, she was swimming with her friends as if she had found a new purpose to live.

The contrast between those moments was almost surreal to her. You just never know what's waiting around the corner.

The rest of them were done swimming and everyone started packing to go back home. "Did you have fun?" Jay wore his glasses, his hair still wet, as he helped her carry the beach towels. She glanced at him and nodded, a genuine smile gracing her lips.

"I didn't drown so I'd say it was a pretty successful day." She shrugged and he chuckled softly, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he looked at her. 

"Come here, let me take a picture of you." He held out his phone and she raised he eyebrows in confusion and surprise before he gently explained, "You look beautiful. I'd like to remember this moment." She felt a warmth spread through her chest at his words and she smiled, slightly tilting her head as he took the photo. The camera click sounded, marking the end of the photo, but the memory it held had just begun.

"That's sweet. Thank you." She said, her heart feeling lighter than it had in a while while she stared at herself on his phone. He smiled, his gaze lingering on her for a while before they joined the others. Sunoo, Niki, and Heeseung were fast asleep the moment they got into the car, and the others were enjoying the soft music and gentle breeze. 

"Grandma, we're back!" Jay called out as they stepped into her place, watching her peek out from the living room, her eyes brightening at the sight of him and Y/N. The others had already gone back to shower and sleep at their places. 

"Welcome back. Did you have fun?" Her warm smile always made Y/N feel at ease. 

"Yes. A lot. Now I'm tired and hungry." He ran his fingers through his hair and turned to Y/N. "I'll shower upstairs. You can shower in grandma's bathroom. Okay?" She nodded and the old woman watched them with a smile, wondering what stories these young hearts were keeping.

When Y/N finished her shower, she wrapped herself in a fluffy towel and stepped out of the bathroom only to find a fresh set of clothes neatly placed on the bed by Grandma. The thoughtful gesture warmed her heart. "Thank you for the clothes." She smiled and bowed politely when she spotted the old woman sitting in the living room, a cup of tea in her hands.

"Of course, dear." Grandma's voice was as soothing as her smile. "Do you want some tea?" Y/N nodded appreciatively and the old woman poured a cup of tea from a nearby teapot and handed it to her, the warmth of the cup seeping into her hands. "I always wanted to have a daughter, I only have sons and they're all abroad. Now that you're here, I'm enjoying your presence." 

"Thank you for welcoming me so kindly." Y/N smiled, feeling a genuine warmth in her heart at Grandma's words. "Everyone had been so kind to me, I'm grateful for that."

"Kind souls recognize each other, Y/N. Life has a way of bringing together those who can truly appreciate and understand one another." As they sat across from each other, sipping their tea, Y/N felt a sense of calm settle over her. There was something comforting about the way Grandma looked at her as if she could see into her heart.

Excusing herself, she went upstairs and stepped into the house only to find Jay sitting on the couch, sleeping with his head resting against his hand. She smiled at the sight and silently approached him, staring at the peaceful expression on his face. She took a seat on a nearby chair, content to watch him for a while. 

 His glasses were perched on the bridge of his nose, and his hair fell slightly tousled over his forehead. She stood up, leaning closer to him before gently reaching out and brushing a strand of hair away from his face. Jay stirred slightly, his eyelashes fluttering, and he slowly opened his eyes, holding his breath when Y/N's face was inches from his. 

"Hey," Jay whispered, his voice husky with sleep, but also laced with a warmth that made Y/N's heart flutter even more. He patted the empty space next to him and she sat down, but before she knew it, he rested his head on her lap and folded his arms over his chest. "This is better." 

Y/N's heart skipped a beat as she gazed down at him and at how his face looked so beautiful under the sunlight. She adjusted herself to make him more comfortable, her fingers idly playing with a strand of his hair. "Are you sure you're comfortable like this?"

Jay sighed contentedly, his eyes drifting closed for a moment as he turned to the side, leaning against her softly. "I've never been more comfortable," he mumbled, a small smile tugging at his lips. His fingers twitched slightly, his hand finding its way to hers before he intertwined their fingers. "I could get used to this."