Chapter XIV

****

****

The elevator doors opened on the spacious living room. There was a glass wall with water falling down in a steady stream.
James walked into the room, looking around. 
“I thought our appointment was at five.” Tony’s voice came from behind him.
James turned around, seeing Tony. “Yeah, I’m a bit early.” He looked at his watch. 
Tony studied him for a few seconds, his brows knitted together. He had never seen James this preoccupied. “Come with me.” He motioned James to follow him into his lab.
A table laden with all kinds of equipment greeted James and Tony as they walked into the lab.
High-tech devices built to meet military standards and polished weapons.
“The very best of any firearm the man has ever made. It’s fast, stable, but still powerful.” Tony handed him what looked like a rifle, and his brows lifted when he noticed its weight lighter than usual.
“The scope has a variable magnification that can go up to twelve, it adapts to any light conditions.” He breathed, admiring his creation. 
“I won’t be that far.” James said.
“Then this will do the work.” He handed him a gun, a smirk on his face. “You’ll love it.”
James examined the weapon, already knowing it was going to be perfect. Tony was the best in his field and an old friend. “I already told Steve he can use my software to do whatever he needs to do.” 
“Thank you, Tony.”
He nodded, pursing his lips a bit, his gaze on the table. “Yeah, but I must ask you… what is all this about?”

Tony was yes a friend, but he also had a reputation and a lot going on. He wasn’t gonna risk it just for a favor. Not even for James.
There was a brief silence, not a fly dared break it.
The two had known each other for years now, but Tony could count on one hand the times James ever opened up about his private life.
It was hard for him to do so, his trust had always been abused somehow by most. Just like Smith did.
They had been working together for years, but that didn’t stop him from betraying him and taking Ivy.
It would have been easy to lie, but despite all the dirt staining his soul lying to people he cared about was not contemplated.
“I promised someone I would keep them safe. I trusted a man to do it while I was away, but he took her and I don’t know why yet.” His explanation was brief, but he was telling the truth. 
“Is this something that has to do with your organization?” Shivers ran down his spine.
Yeah, the thought was there, but he needed to know more before excluding them from the equation, but yeah, Ivy was linked to The Eye.
“It’s complicated,” James concluded, twisting the metal ring around his thumb.
Tony nodded, patting his shoulder. “Alright. Get what you need and get lost. You better not bring any shitshow around here.”

****

The impact of the icy water made her breathing stop, her throat felt tight.
A hand grabbed her by the roots of her hair, lifting her head. “I don’t know.” Ivy wept, already knowing what question the man was gonna ask.
Smith had left a man to handle the “questioning”.
He kept coming into the room all night long, over and over.
Right when she was about to fall asleep the door would open again.
“You’re a stubborn one.” The man hummed, sitting in front of her, an unfamiliar accent staining his words.
Ivy’s shoulder hurt, her whole body was sore after being tied for so long. Hours seemed to last days, stretching to the impossible and freezing time in what seemed an infernal loop.
“I have no idea what you’re asking.” She whispered, her head falling.
The room around her was starting to feel more distant, but it was just an instant. 
“I don’t remember saying you could fall asleep, darling.” He grabbed Ivy’s chin, pulling her closer.
Her eyelids felt heavy like boulders. “Why are you so loyal? How much did he pay you to keep your mouth shut? Or perhaps you owe him something…” The man wondered, studying her face.
She looked honest.
He had a lot of experience, he knew when a man was lying and she seemed genuinely clueless.
Ivy didn’t answer. Why waste breath? He wasn’t going to believe her anyway.