Chapter I

➳➳➳

➳➳➳

Sirens echoed in the distance, gradually getting closer and louder.
Aman stood in the middle of the street, heavy rain falling on him, making his dark clothes stick to his skin.
There was a lifeless body on the ground, and under it, a pool of dark, thick blood diluted by rain.
One after the other, police cars stopped in front of him, red and blue lights flashing in the night as the cop shouted orders.
The man dropped the gun in his hand, slowly raising his hands and getting to his knees.
An officer rushed to him, grabbing his wrists to handcuff him. They got him.
The man remained calm, completely unbothered.
The police thought they got him, but in reality, he had them exactly where he wanted.
"Good luck, pal." A voice spoke into his ear before the officer took out his earpiece.
His eyes moved to the building in front of him, and he squinted, seeing a tall figure disappear on the roof.

****

Clouds were still covering the sky above New York the day after, only letting a faint light through.
The clicking of heels on the hard tiles was the only thing audible. "Ivy Hayes, morning, Doc."
A guard greeted her with a nod from his guardhouse.
Doctor Ivy Hayes was on her second week at the Fort Lake, and she got there earlier to prepare for the arrival of a new inmate.

A tall man was brought into her office around 11:30 am, chains tied to his wrists and ankles.
Ivy sighed. She knew the people there were all criminals, dangerous ones, but still people.
"I got this. I'll let you know when we're done here." She dismissed the guards, walking to her desk. "Take a seat."
The man walked to the plastic chair, metal clanking at each step. "So, Andrew," she hummed, reading his file. "I'm doctor Hayes, we will run a check-up before you settle."
He gazed at her through his long lashes, keeping his hands in his laps, silent.
He knew they were not going to have his true identity, it wasn't the first time it had happened, but as time went by, it became harder to keep a false identity.
James was not worried about that though. There was no reason. The whole prison was in the hands of the same people he worked for.
"You have type one diabetes." He nodded, still not speaking.
"Alright, I'm going to take some samples of blood and your temperature." Doctor Hayes said, standing up and taking a syringe from the metal cabinet behind her desk.

The inmate lifted his arms, resting them on the desk, gazing at the doctor. "I'm gonna need a little help here, Doc." He spoke, and his voice was not as rough as his appearance suggested.
She sighed, rolling his sleeve up. "You got a lot going on here."
His eyes moved along his inked arm, and he looked up, smirking. "One for each bad decision."
Hayes scoffed, gently pushing the needle under his skin. "Most people would not want to remember bad decisions making them permanent on skin." She commented, without getting an answer.

"I'm going to give you your dose since you're about to get lunch. A guard will bring you here again tonight before dinner." She explained, writing down in her leather notebook.
"Got it." He said, standing up and heading to the door, waiting for the guard to open it.
The guard walked behind him down the hallway, passing through the first gate.
Insulin is a lifesaving medication in people with diabetes, but to someone who can already produce it, it's not so safe.

The guard left the inmate in his cell, and the day inside the penitentiary just went on as usual.
James' body was starting to react to the medication, speeding up his heartbeat and making his palms sweaty.
The awareness of these symptoms seemed to amplify the effects, a sort of placebo effect.
He knew that was going to happen, so just tried to shift his attention to something else.
He sat down on the concrete floor, his back pressed against the wall and his eyes outside his cell.
It was fundamental to learn this place's rhythm, memorize the guards' shifts, and everything that was going to get him out of there once he completed his mission.

Lunch arrived in a few minutes, and a tray was sled into his cell through the slot window.
He grabbed it quickly, tore the sugar packet, and emptied it directly into his mouth.
Fruit and the vase of yogurt were next, but he knew this wasn't enough.
There was a better way to contain this, but he had to wait for the next shift.
James finished his launch and moved to his cot.
That was going to be a long week.

****

Light footsteps caught James' attention, who was laying on his cot.
The door opened, and he sat up, seeing a guard standing in the doorway. "Face the wall and put your hands behind your back." He ordered before handcuffing his wrists to move him to the infirmary.
He glanced at the other cells, trying to recognize his target. "Open gate one."
It wasn't here, and that complicated things. Getting to another section wasn't going to be easy.
The guard knocked on the infirmary door. "Come on in!"
James walked in first, nodding at doctor Hayes. "Thank you, Lewis. It's gonna take just a few minutes." She smiled politely.
"I'll be outside, Doc." He replied, closing the door behind him.
"So, Andrew. How's Fort Lake treating you?" She asked.

James looked up at her, shrugging. "The view on the concrete isn't the best, but the room service is quite nice."
Ivy rubbed a soaked cotton ball on the back of his arm. "Yeah, I heard." She chuckled.
James watched as she pinched his skin, giving him the dose.
He noticed a ring on her finger, with a finely cut diamond. "A three carats, whoever got it must really like you." He hummed.
Ivy's eyes snapped to him, a frown creasing her forehead. "You seem to know your stuff."
"My father was a jeweler." He said quickly.
She nodded throwing away the used syringe. "We're done here."
The door opened again, Lewis showing up to take James back to his cell. "See you tomorrow, Doc." He said, giving her a nod.
The fact that she was being nice didn't mean anything, but his mind saw a really good opportunity in that.
She was going to be a big help, without even realizing it.
When James arrived at his cell he stood in front of the wall, waiting for the guard to take off the handcuffs.
His breath hitched when he felt something snuck in his hand. "That should last you a week." The guard whispered, leaving the cell.
James turned around and gazed down at his hand holding a small plastic bottle.
He took one of the pills out and filled his cup with water.
A special suppressor that was going to stabilize his insulin levels, avoiding an overdose. Those were his only chance to come out of there alive.

****

Hello!
Glass is finally out, and I'm really excited.
I have been thinking about writing some AU!Bucky for a while now.
Necessary Good, Unnecessary Evil got a nice positive response, and I hope this story will too!
As always I love hearing about your opinions, so, if you want to, leave your feedback!
See you soon! Xx