Chapter VI

****

****

Gravel crunched under James' booths as he walked through the driveway in his camel coat shielding him from the cold wind.
He arrived in front of the fancy colonial front entrance and glanced at his car parked in the distance. His driver kept the engine running, being told it would be a quick stop.
The housekeeper opened the door, letting James in with no questions. They were expecting his visit.
Mr. and Mrs. Duke were in the living room, waiting.
They received a call that same morning announcing James' arrival, and they had been wondering why he would ever bother to get all the way to Todt Hill.
James sat down on the couch in front of the couple, and with one glance he recognized a pain not new to him.
A pain only a mother can feel, staining the soul like an unwashable paint.
Mrs. Duke was wearing black, and her eyes were lacking any kind of life.
"Mr. Barnes, to what do we owe this visit? I don't remember any business left unfinished between us." Henry Duke spoke, watching the man in front of him.
He was much older than James, but his status was way lower than his, and a man like him knew how important ranks were.

A maid walked to serve coffee and left immediately after pouring three cups.
James took off his leather gloves, resting them on his knee. "I came here to bring my condolences." He began, clasping his hands together in his lap.
Henry took his wife's hand, looking down for a moment. Something in his gut was telling him this was unusual. James Barnes valued his time too much to waste it on social conventions. "We appreciate it, but you didn't have to go through the trouble to come all the way here."
"I'm here to tell you that what happened was no incident." James cut him off, his voice steady as his face stood impassible.
"I killed your sons. As you know our Organization has very strict rules, and we demand absolute diligence. No insubordination is tolerated."
Old Emily's heart seemed to break once again at those words, but that didn't seem to affect James at all.

Not a single emotion displayed on his face as he admitted to these parents he killed their sons, and it was at that exact moment that Henry understood his power.
What to him was almost a kid felt so confident and sure of himself and his abilities that didn't fear anything. Not even the wrath of a father.
No man should hold such power, nor be able to use it.
Henry knew his sons were no saints, and neither was he, but he killed his boys. Vengeance was required.
Emily choked a sob, covering her mouth.
She knew what kind of life her boys were living, the same one their father used to build his fortune, and she knew it was going to take them from her.
James' hand moved to the pocket of his coat, taking out a wooden rosary and putting it on the coffee table in front of him. "You will be hearing from us."
He put his gloves back on and headed out.
The driver saw James walking out, and took the car around.
"Where to, sir?" He asked, looking at him in the rear mirror.
James sighed, narrowing his brows. A thought was floating in his mind, like an itch he couldn't scratch. "The company. I have a meeting."
He grabbed his phone, sending Steve a name and a simple request. Who's Ivy Hayes?

****

Ivy's heart was racing in her chest as she walked up the stairs to Mel's apartment.
The police came all the way to Mel's house, meaning they first went to Aaron.
No one knew she moved out, and they still shared an address.
She used her key and headed straight to the living room, where agent Anderson was sitting with Mel.
"Morning doctor Hayes." He greeted.
It was only him, which felt a bit strange. "Agent Anderson. May I ask why you're here?" Ivy asked.
His lips curved, his expression staying polite, but without ever losing its stoic traits. "I was hoping to discuss some details about your deposition. I went to your house, but your husband told me you were staying with a friend."
She wondered who worked on a Sunday morning just to refine some details. It must have been important if it couldn't wait for just a day. "He's not my husband. We didn't make it there."