TWELVE / "Puck, Stick... Pucker Up"

Start from the beginning

I never got my answer because then the front door was opening.

"Shit!" I whispered. We were in the kitchen, so I couldn't exactly see into the living room and front door.

I pushed Milton away and hopped off the counter.

"Um, how's my hair?" I asked.

He was stammering, eyes wide and hands aimlessly moving about in front of him.

Useless.

"Put your jacket on," I commanded and threw it to him.

I forgot about my shirt on there table and just threw on my squad jacket and zipped it up.

"I just thanked you with coffee for driving me home. And Jenson? Please act natural," I pleaded, my voice slightly softer than before now that we were both decent.

I saw him nod nervously, but slowly the professional side of him was returning.

So began the walk of shame.

I was the first to leave the kitchen with Jenson trailing behind me.

"Oh, Jenson, it's no problem at all," I started randomly.

Josie and Jepito.

"But thanks again. I enjoyed the coffee."

Good, he's catching on, I thought with a content look and shut eyes.

Josie's eyebrows were scrunched when she turned around after closing the door. Her arms were crossed as she went over to the couch and sat down.

Of course her eyes were still on me, so I knew something was going on in that mind of hers. But the thing with Josie is she can have every reason to be skeptical. And she'd get to thinking. But then she'd take the easy way out, dropping it, instead of investigating further.

At least once that benefit of the doubt of hers was convenient.

Jepito was dressed in a long sleeve with the arms rolled up, veins popping out of his arms. He didn't seem to notice the random guy in our living room.

Jepito groaned and fell onto the couch, over the arm, beside Josie. He looked up at me with a look of confusion. "Did you know high schoolers don't have to be dismissed?!"

I only stared at the kid. Well it's the right that counts anyway.

Then his eyes narrowed. "Wait a minute. Who's he?"

I think something clicked in Jepito's young mind. He bounced off of the couch and soon his arms encircled me.

"Wife! Looking good. Oh, I've missed you."

Then he pulled away abruptly, leaving me more room to shoot glares at him with my arms crossed.

"Who is this man?"

Then to my surprise he stepped up Milton (who didn't flinch nor move at all).

"Hey well, who the heck—hell are you? Dude, what are you doing with my wife? I'd back off if I were you, man. So uncool."

No no nope. Need to put an end to this now. I stepped in between them and hugged Jepito. He hugged me back before stepping back. I pretended not to see him do the "I've got my eyes on you" hand gesture.

"Well, Jepito—" I still hate that name. "My squad car broke down. This is Milton Jenson, my partner from work. He was nice enough to give me a ride home."

Jepito looked between us, concern and anger switching on his face. Then he squinted and walked closer to Jenson. "Hey, thanks man. That's so cool of you."