Ryden's movements ceased when she felt a sharp object touch her throat. The object was drug across her throat, warm liquid spilling from the wound. Ryden began choking on her own blood, the metallic taste in her mouth becoming stronger, the smell of her own blood invading her nostrils.

Staring up at the stars in the night sky, the pain of her wound slowly fading away, Ryden closed her eyes, her breath slowing down, her heart taking its final beat.

On April 6, 2019

Ryden James died alone.

Numb.

Numbness was the only thing that Ryden felt.

Opening her eyes slowly, she realized that she was in a void of nothingness. Darkness was the only thing that she could see. Ryden did not move an inch, too afraid of what would happen if she did.

Seconds

Minutes

Hours

Ryden was not sure how long she had been in the void, but she was getting tired of it. The silence was becoming too much. Right as she was going to sit up, a figure appeared above her, successfully scaring the shit out of her.

"What the fuck!"

Ryden had a potty mouth.

"Language young Ryden, you are far too young to be saying such vulgar words."

A shiver went down Ryden's spine at the low raspy voice coming from the figure in front of her. She took a better look at the figure and noticed that they were wearing a black cloak, the only part of their body showing was their eyes, which were a bright silver color.

"Who are you? Where am I? How did I get here?" Ryden's voice was almost a whisper, full of fear and panic.

The figure's eyes seemed to soften at the sight of Ryden being scared of them. "I never meant to scare you Ryden. I am Mortem, but you most likely know me as Death. As for why you are here, that is what we need to discuss."

Ryden stared at them, waiting for Mortem to continue.

"You, young Ryden, are special. You are meant for great things, but not in the universe that you just left." Mortem watched the girl closely, waiting for her reaction.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Ryden's eyes narrowed at the figure in front of her. She couldn't understand what they meant by"special".

"You were made by my sister and I to save a universe."

Mortem's response to Ryden's question made her giggle. "You must be mistaken, I definitely can not save a universe."

"Oh but you can Ryden, you know everything about where you are destined to go. That is why my sister and I sent you to your previous universe in the first place, to learn about what happens so you can change it." Mortem's eyes shone in what seemed to be pride and amusement. Ryden still felt confused.

"I am not following Mortem. What universe could I possibly know every-'' Ryden trailed off realizing what universe Mortem was talking about. A horrified expression found its way onto her face. "Please don't tell me I am destined to be part of the "save Elena'' crew. If I am, I am not going."

Mortem laughed at the human in front of them. "Of course not dearest. You are going to help someone else."

Ryden visibly relaxed. "Who am I supposed to save then?" Ryden's voice was now full of confusion once again.

"You know, you are taking this better than I thought you would." Mortem's comment made Ryden chuckle a bit. "Well it's not like I'm going to be able to go back to my old life. Even if I could, I would choose going into this universe over my old one any day."

Mortem smiled softly at Ryden's answer, they felt bad for taking part in what happened to her in her old universe, but it had to be done for her to succeed in saving her fated family. "It is time for us to part dear Ryden, I wish you nothing but luck." They began reaching out to Ryden, hand only inches away from her forehead.

"Wait!" Ryden's rushed and panicked voice causes Mortem to pause their movements. "Can I make one request?"

Mortem stared at Ryden. "It depends on what your request is."

"I want the Hollow to be nonexistent." Ryden said that with the utmost confidence.

"That is something I can grant you. You will have enough to deal with without that annoying spirit bothering you." Mortem's approval made Ryden smile, before her smile turned into a frown as she registered the last bit of Mortem's words. Her mouth opened to ask what they meant, but before a word could escape, Mortem's hand was on her forehead and darkness took over Ryden's vision and she felt herself falling.

"You are destined for great things young Ryden. You will become their savior."

AN//// I do not own any of the TVDU plot or any of the characters. I only own Ryden and the plot that I make, and the changes I come up with. This book is an AU, which means that it will not be like cannon. Some things will remain the same, but most of them will change. Also, some characters might be OOC. I did this because I wanted to. If you don't like how I portray them, then don't read. There will be slight Rebekah and Elijah bashing in act one, but there is a reason for it, and it doesn't go beyond act one. Thank you for reading!