Chapter 17 - Interlude

🕷

🕷

Gwen decided she wanted to explore the city. See what was different from her universe and so forth. So far, she had discovered that some of the brands were close to what she remembered but was still off in some sense. For example, when she first met Sam under the bridge in Germany, he said Tic Tacs were like that, not the Tac Tics she remembered from her childhood.

Even this New York was different than her New York.

This was New York, yes, but it wasn't her New York.

There was no Mr. Johnson and his deli. (He spotted Gwen after a nasty altercation with a burglar who had a knife on him. The burglar was caught but she didn't leave the scene without a nasty gash on her arm. He treated her, Mrs. Johnson came out with some soup, both promised to keep her secret, and that moment on became a free medical provider with his knowledge of when he dropped out of med school. Last time she saw him before the first portal opened up, he was saving up to try it again.) There was no graffiti of Spider-Man logo with the adjacent brick wall having the Spider-Woman logo on it. There was no candle lit for where Mr. and Mrs. Johnson had lost their dog, Avocado, to a car accident.

It simply wasn't her New York.

She took a walk around Columbus Circle then near the John Jay College campus where her father graduated from and her old apartment building across the street. The black fire escape didn't have that hinge missing like hers did, yet another reminder of what world she was in.

Gwen got some soup on 56th that reminded her so much of Mrs. Johnson's pea soup she could make especially for Gwen.

Night soon fell, the city that never sleeps coming to life with the blinking lights on all the buildings that draw your attention and drown all others.

The hospital next to her old apartment where her father and herself lived was bustling of emergency vehicles, but that was to be expected when living in the heart of Hell's Kitchen.

Behind her old apartment, there was the alleyway where all the trash ended up for the collectors to come and pick it up, there was screaming.

Gwen's sense of protecting the innocent, just like her father before her, kicked in and she went sprinting to the source. Dodging trashcans and fire escapes, he saw a man covering the mouth of a woman as his other hand roamed her body.

The man, who had yet to notice the blonde girl charging towards him, was punched.

Shock ran through her as she recognized the red suit with devil horns on the top of the mask.

The woman collected her stuff, covered herself up and went behind Gwen as she directed.

Daredevil was there handling the man who pulled out a butterfly knife and expertly twisted it, showing off the fact he knew how to use it and wasn't afraid to put his skill in action.